Cubans can now buy TV\'s and DVD\'s

» I suck at the internet so I am not even going to try and post a link but

» MSN.com is reporting that Raul lifted the ban prohibiting Cubans from

» buying some technology...maybe a small step...

Lets hope this is the start of some real change on the island.

El Moro

» I suck at the internet so I am not even going to try and post a link but

» MSN.com is reporting that Raul lifted the ban prohibiting Cubans from

» buying some technology...maybe a small step...

Does it really matter? Will anyone be able to afford these anyway? I assume there was already a healthy black market for this kind of stuff.

Whats crazy is the average Cubano doesnt have the money to buy the computers or dvd players. I guess it is a good thing if you have family outside. Then the family can buy the items. But like someone mentioned there is a huge blackmarket out there of jineteros and people who steal from the government.

» Whats crazy is the average Cubano doesnt have the money to buy the

» computers or dvd players. I guess it is a good thing if you have family

» outside. Then the family can buy the items. But like someone mentioned

» there is a huge blackmarket out there of jineteros and people who steal

» from the government.

As a veteran of GW1 I'm sure you (and really everyone should know) that economics are only part of the riddle. While in Iraq in 2004-05 I saw the economic depravity of that nation contrast with a technological infusion to thier infrastructure that still leaves me shaking my head. The elderly farmer with the mud/adobe? hut, dirt floor and no rations or car almost always had a TV satellite mounted to his digs. All of this "stuff" that Raul has approved will definitely make its way into the masses, one way or another. One thing is for sure, the Cuban people in general could use a break, maybe Raul can win thier hearts, and the hearts of the global audience, with his magnonimity (sic?) Politics not being my forte', I'm sure now might be a good time to go back to nursing my whiskey, I've a rule for myself about posting drunk, anymore and I'll violate it....

Nice post Wise.

You will see a constant drip feed of these type of "concessions". It is important that the general population have a "feeling" of change albeit largely meaningless. Cerebral cake for the masses.