Juan Lopez Seleccion No.1 - OCT 98

Whew! What a day! Wind gusts up to 50 mph, clouds rolling, and I do mean rolling, overhead. Sun in and out. I know earlier this morning it was a little on the warmer side, say mid 60’s (F). However, by the time I grabbed this smoke and headed out the back door this afternoon, the temps had dropped to the low 50’s. With the wind…brrrr.

I was gifted this particular smoke by a great BOTL from another board. Construction was a little rough with a number of veins throughout. Firm but yet a little give when squeezed slightly. Triple cap on the head, nice bunching in the foot.

03-08-08Imported022.jpg

03-08-08Imported027.jpg

03-08-08Imported021.jpg

Punched the cap and pre-light was of mild matured tobacco. Draw was a tad bit on the loose side, which was perfect for me. I toasted the foot and then put fire to it. First draw was medium bodied with pepper on the back of the throat. Lots of earth, wood, and spice in this one along with an abundance of smoke. Started out with a nice white ash that quickly turned to dark gray.

03-08-08Imported032.jpg

03-08-08Imported034.jpg

03-08-08Imported036.jpg

On into the first third, still woodiness with tastes of spicy cedar as well as some dark cocoa. Possibly a strong espresso coming through. About the halfway point a flavor of overly toasted Melba came through. Rather good if I may say so. Also, a dark nutty flavor intertwined with the toast. All the while the woody earthiness was there with the perfect amount of spice on the back of the throat (and through the nose).

03-08-08Imported037.jpg

03-08-08Imported038.jpg

I had to take it much slower towards the end as the draw really loosened up and the smoke heated up a bit. Still lots of smoke with the melba, wood, and cocoa. Was very good down to the nub.

03-08-08Imported039.jpg

03-08-08Imported040.jpg

03-08-08Imported044.jpg

huh..i posted to this and now it aint there...

what I think I posted was this:

Very nice Greg. The JL1 is a favorite of mine. And to have a 98 to smoke is a damn fine day.

It's blowing 30-50 gust here in Florida as well. I just got done smoking a very special cigar...inside the house, because the wifey is out of town. I opened the windows and threw caution and sex on Sunday out the door.