1995 Cabanas Review

Chicago

Thank for the candid review...

Now, even though tobacco is tobacco and a cigar should somewhat improve with some rest... (even the good old party chicos benefit form a year of rest --- done unintentionally),

I have always wondered whether machine made cigars are worth aging intentionally... or buying aged...

» Thanks, man, I ampathetic, here is the full review to go along with them.

1995 Cabanas petite corona

This cigar was one of my older stock, having been gifted to me about 8 years or so ago. Originally, it was wrapped in cello but I removed that about 4 years ago. In any case, I had somewhat high hopes for this little gem, being from 1995 and all. I am not sure of the size however, as I usually smoke pc’s up to Churchills. This was about the length of a pc but much thinner.

The prelight was very peppery and tasted of clean tobacco. The wrapper and cap were pretty ugly, veiny etc. My guess is a machine made product from the way the cap was just kind of sitting on top.

The winter here in Chicago has been really brutal, much snow and very cold temps, between -15 and 25 Celsius. Here to fore, most of my smoking is being done in my beat up Camry from 1995. Chicago has also recently gone smokeless in all public places. Sucks to be a cigar smoker here. In any case, back to the cigar, I digress.

The first inch or so was very loose, peppery and boring. Slight hints of nutmeg, and a toast, salty flavor. But then again, the first ½ inch of a cigar is always a little deceiving, I have found. Wait till this baby really heats up.

Unfortunately, it did and became very boring, tobacco and pepper. I hate pepper. Plus as it heated up, I got a slightly oily after taste. What’s that, cinnamon, gone too soon back to the pepper and oil.

Now this baby is really burning like a torch and starting to heat up, but I am just bored, and begin thinking about the upcoming big 10 football season.

About ½ way through, it goes out! What. I light it up and it smolders, more pepper, more plain tobacco. It goes out again.

I then do what I always do with unremarkable cigars, I operate to see why they suck. Onto the table. I unroll the beast and lay the contents on the operating table. The wrapper is very thin like onion skin, the contents show no hint of the normal 3 layer construction, just a big pile of tobacco leaves. Not sure if this is a machine made cigar or handmade but I opt for the former. I think I read that these are machine made but hand finished, whatever that means.

In any case, this cigar was a big disappointment, if I had to give it a rating, I would say 65. To think this puppy has been taking up room in my box for so long. If someone “gifts” one of these to you, throw it away or feed it to the goats. A waste of time.

However, I did learn a good old lesson from this and my high hopes for all of the ageing that would mellow out this smoke and that is that you cannot make chicken salad from chicken ****.

Happy Smoking

• 8 months later...

1995 Cabanas petite corona?

(I apologize in advance for the potential issues with my having the ability to actually post these pics. My thanks to Charles for getting them to fit)

This cigar was one of my older stock, having been gifted to me about 8 years or so ago. Originally, it was wrapped in cello but I removed that about 4 years ago. In any case, I had somewhat high hopes for this little gem, being from 1995 and all. I am not sure of the size however, as I usually smoke pc’s up to Churchills. This was about the length of a pc but much thinner.

>[img]

About ½ way through, it goes out! What. I light it up and it smolders, more pepper, more plain tobacco. It goes out again.

>[img]

In any case, this cigar was a big disappointment, if I had to give it a rating, I would say 65. To think this puppy has been taking up room in my box for so long. If someone “gifts” one of these to you, throw it away or feed it to the goats. A waste of time.

However, I did learn a good old lesson from this and my high hopes for all of the ageing that would mellow out this smoke and that is that you cannot make chicken salad from chicken ****.

Happy Smoking

image5695.jpg

Here, let me give you a hand there, mate . . . here are some of the pics I resized for you . . . they're just too good to leave unposted:

image5723.jpg

image5722.jpg

image5724.jpg