ROB and other Habanophiles

There is much debate on another forum I frequent in regards to this article about CUBA's Monoblends. (most of this text taken from another borads forum)

You being a habanophile and having many contacts in the world of Cuba. Maybe you can shed some light

Can you comment on this article. What are your thoughts.

The magazine is called Cigarpress magazine. Article was entitled "Cuban Cigars: Worth the Hype?" (page 62).

Q2 paragraphs from the article!

Today, the only thing that really differentiates Cuban brands is their names. The fact that most people don't know any better allows Cuba to charge a hundred dollars for one box, and then slap a world-famous name on another from the same rolling table and charge four times that.

I know what you're thinking... you have smoked a lot of different Cuban cigars before and thought they tastes different, and they probably did. But when is the last time you remember smoking a particular Cuban brand that was consistent - box after box year after year?

The premise of the article is that Cuba uses 1 blend for many of the different cigars.

I think it worth noting that the guy who's been posting this excerpt from the article on various boards isn't arguing that it's gospel, but feels that there might be some occasional shenanigans in some of the "less touristy" factories...

I dont think its true, but look at all the taste tests here. How many people have ever got it right. I say that their are alot of cigars that I smoke that taste very much alike.

As much as if I didnt take the band off myself, I would swear it was something else

During certain periods I wouldnt doubt it. When you think of all the different vitolas per brand its inevitable that there will be some monoblending intentionally or unintentionally.

I started smoking Padron Anny's and love them still. I have never had a bad one yet and to take it a step further I've never had one with even mediocre construction they have all been perfect. With that said, since Ive found FOH 8 months ago Ive yet to have a NC. Its the cuban flavors and the changes that I experience throughout a given smoke that just has me hooked. I wouldnt say the construction on most of the cubans I have smoked have been at the Padron Anny level but the flavors are just so much better.

I am certainly inexperienced and havent tried all the different vitolas from all the different manufacturers but the recent stuff that I have tried has definitely been unique to each brand in terms of flavor. My not so experienced pallate has to disagree with the monoblending theory.

» The premise of the article is that Cuba uses 1 blend for many of the

» different cigars.

I would not be able to give an opinion directly in regards to this, as it would be purely conjecture on my part.

But, we have had discussions here (or more accurately, Rob has passed along information) regarding

blend consistency and tobacco substitution.

To paraphrase, if a roller runs out of a certain tobacco, let's say seco, during a run, they will substitute

with seco on hand - it may be from another farm or region, but the essential ratios and blend remains

the same - I hope I am recalling this correctly.

Something I try to keep in mind with regard to year to year consistency is that tobacco crops will never

be exactly the same from year to year, similarly to grape harvests in the making of wine.

Having said all that, nothing would surprise me.......

» But when is the last time you remember smoking a particular Cuban brand

» that was consistent - box after box year after year?

»

»

» The premise of the article is that Cuba uses 1 blend for many of the

» different cigars.

Consistency is the Holy Grail. I think that they currently have quality tobacco and better construction....but blend consistency is still elusive.

Yet...can't the same also be said of wine? different years, different growing conditions. It should be more consistent because they are utilizing the same vines but some years you would have to question even that.

I have never had a Monte 4 which tasted like a Punch petit Corona...or a R&J Cedros No 3.

Never had a Monte 2 which tasted like a Partagas P2 or Roabina Unicos.

Never had a SLR DC taste like a Lusitania?

Is this enough to end the argument? I have no doubt mistakes are made but anyone who believes that a Cohiba Robusto and a SLR Regio taste the same is a moron.

» Consistency is the Holy Grail. I think that they currently have quality

» tobacco and better construction....but blend consistency is still elusive.

»

»

» I have never had a Monte 4 which tasted like a Punch petit Corona...or a

» R&J Cedros No 3.

» Never had a Monte 2 which tasted like a Partagas P2 or Roabina Unicos.

» Never had a SLR DC taste like a Lusitania?

»

» Is this enough to end the argument? I have no doubt mistakes are made but

» anyone who believes that a Cohiba Robusto and a SLR Regio taste the same

» is a moron.

Exactly...I think whomever made the original statement about "monoblends doesn't know much about cigars at all and wouldn't be surprised if it were started by a NC cigar retailer or mfg.

~M

» Exactly...I think whomever made the original statement about "monoblends

» doesn't know much about cigars at all and wouldn't be surprised if it were

» started by a NC cigar retailer or mfg.

»

» ~M

My thoughts exactly...

» » The premise of the article is that Cuba uses 1 blend for many of the

» » different cigars.

»

» I would not be able to give an opinion directly in regards to this, as it

» would be purely conjecture on my part.

» But, we have had discussions here (or more accurately, Rob has passed

» along information) regarding

» blend consistency and tobacco substitution.

»

» To paraphrase, if a roller runs out of a certain tobacco, let's say seco,

» during a run, they will substitute

» with seco on hand - it may be from another farm or region, but the

» essential ratios and blend remains

» the same - I hope I am recalling this correctly.

»

» Something I try to keep in mind with regard to year to year consistency is

» that tobacco crops will never

» be exactly the same from year to year, similarly to grape harvests in the

» making of wine.

»

» Having said all that, nothing would surprise me.......

Your comments are good ones, Colt45, and you might just as well have been discussing wine (grapes) instead of cigars (tobacco). Tobacco is tobacco, and grapes are grapes -- I think NOT...

The NC, especially the quality examples, have the construction end of the equation worked out quite well; simply put, a Padron (and other premium NC cigars) by in large are put together (constructed) visually much better than most Cubans. They look good and sometimes taste good as well to those who partake in them -- I don't any longer...

Jack

I ordered a Makers Mark on the rocks at a local bar the other night. It was poured from a Makers Mark bottle but one sip and I knew it wasn't Makers. I won't drink at that establishment anymore.

I think cigar smokers are the same, we have discerning tastes and if someone tries to pass you a cigar of less quality for what should be premium you will know right away and we would not be buying them anymore.

» I started smoking Padron Anny's and love them still. I have never had a

» bad one yet and to take it a step further I've never had one with even

» mediocre construction they have all been perfect. With that said, since

» Ive found FOH 8 months ago Ive yet to have a NC. Its the cuban flavors

» and the changes that I experience throughout a given smoke that just has

» me hooked. I wouldnt say the construction on most of the cubans I have

» smoked have been at the Padron Anny level but the flavors are just so much

» better.

»

» I am certainly inexperienced and havent tried all the different vitolas

» from all the different manufacturers but the recent stuff that I have

» tried has definitely been unique to each brand in terms of flavor. My not

» so experienced pallate has to disagree with the monoblending theory.

Alan,

Dont you find that so many cuban marques require aging while most NC's such as Padron do not?

The hit and miss thing is really disconcerning with me. When I smoke a padron, I know its gonna be on the money every time. when I spark up a Monte #2, all bets are off.

» I have no doubt mistakes are made but anyone who believes that a Cohiba

» Robusto and a SLR Regio taste the same is a moron.

Whew! As I breathe a sigh of relief. I don't really prefer either of those two cigars because they don't appeal to my taste, but each in their own distinct way. Not the same, neither to my taste.

Wilkey