Blue Moon Belgian White vs. Sam Adams White Ale

Colt45

A brief comparison:

Appearance: In the bottle, the Blue Moon is cloudier, but when poured, they are fairly equal in cloudiness

and color.

Taste - Blue Moon: Fruit forward, citrus - but to my palate, almost to the point of banana. You do get the

sense of wheat and spice, but balance-wise, the fruit is almost over the top. The finish is a little "funky".

Still, it is quite enjoyable and rather refreshing.

Taste - SA White Ale: Compared to the BM, front palate is more spicy / hoppy, with more of a fruity, wheaty finish.

More balanced overall, and while equally refreshing, more beer-like. Very well done.

While I enjoyed both, I prefer the Sam, and think it will be a great warm weather beer.

i had a great belgian whit at my friends house over the summer, now i'm hooked on it! at $40.00 a case, it's a beer that i get every couple of months.

hoegartten pronounced who garten made in belgium.

and being that blue moon is now owned by coors, i don't drink it. i'll have to give the sam a try, so far i like just about everything that they made.

I am a fan of Blue Moon with an orange slice to help with the funky after taste. I agree that is does have the citrus kick (espcially with the orange). I also have not tied the SA so thank you for posting this as I will put it at the top of my list.

Colt said, "While I enjoyed both, I prefer the Sam, and think it will be a great warm weather beer."

I don't understand why they would release it on tap during the winter. I had one the other day, after the Winter Lager kicked.

» Colt said, "While I enjoyed both, I prefer the Sam, and think it will be a

» great warm weather beer."

»

» I don't understand why they would release it on tap during the winter. I

» had one the other day, after the Winter Lager kicked.

Don't worry spring white is soon to be followed by SA Summer Ale(another wheat ale) very simmilar to the spring maybe a bit more citrus.

Ugh why doesnt anyone make a good pilsner for thier summer beer.

Thanks guys, I'll keep my eyes open for the Hoegaarden. It is a bit funny that the Sam white is

their spring seasonal and is available now - the half foot of fresh snow here tells me otherwise.

I like the Sam summer as well, but to me it is a bit more hoppy than the white - if both are available

this summer, I'll have to try a side by side.....buuuuurrrp......

Colt

Another wheat beer that you may want to try is Erdinger.

Not quite the same as a belgian white but it is a great beer.

You may also want to try Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale.

I have had it draught and out of the bottle. I'm about an hour and half

away from Flying Fish brewery.

Yeah Hoegaarden is the shiite. They also make a beer (Hoegaarden does) called Leffe that I recently tried. really excellent. I don't know if it qualifies as a witbier, I don't think so, but it is really excellent. Balanced, light fruit finish.