MID 80\'S RyJ CHURCHILL A/T

broozer

Julieta-mid 80's A/T

Well, I don't know the exact box code on this cigar as it was a gift from my good friend croatan/james. He told me it was from the mid 80's as he had purchased a 10 pack of them. After clipping the cap off the pre light draw tastes heavily of light morning tea w/ a splash of milk. There are no strong flavors of tobacco or anything else though. This cigar is very well aged and it's very apparent on pre light draw. The wrapper isn't veiny at all and there is a fair amount of oil showing through out the wrapper as well. Even if I didn't know how old the cigar was you can almost tell it's over 15 years old just from looking at the band. The draw is also smooth and pretty much perfect. The flavor of the cigar even before lighting is so dominating that after 3-4 draws the taste is covering my mouth. I'm almost too nervous to smoke this thing. I chose water to drink because I didn't want anything screwing up this cigar. Dinner tonight at the casa was fish and veggies w/ a pint of stella.

1-3.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-4.jpg

4-3.jpg

5-3.jpg

Ok, torch is lit and toasting the foot………OH MY!! The smell from just the smoke while toasting the foot was enticing. The first few puffs reveal a very rich flavor of dark tea and the smoke is plentiful. That tea flavor quickly becomes a semi sweet flavor and the smoke is filling my mouth and almost tastes too good to exhale. At the one inch mark, this cigar is not letting up. It's really mild, but in no way lacks flavor…..it's packed with that and it's almost got a sweet taste to it now. At two inches in the cigar has toned down a bit, but there's a light spice flavor coming through. Although I can't say just what it is just yet.

6-3.jpg

Entering the second third of the cigar now and it's a bit flat, but the flavors are still there and still good. They just aren't as prominent as earlier. The smoke is still plentiful and now there's a slight bready flavor added to the mix as well as a bit of salt. Who knew that aged RyJ churhills would taste a bit like an SP. Good thing as you all know I love my SP's. There is also a flavor that almost wants to turn into toasted cinnamon, but it can't quite do it. What the hell, I'll crack open a stella artois and see how it goes with this cigar…………..mmmmm, it goes very well with this cigar. Life is goooooood tonight. Nearing the halfway point and this cigar does not seem to want to pick up in "UMPH" very much. It's good and I am enjoying it very much, but it's not really taking me on a the roller coaster ride I thought it might when I first lit it up. It's also leaving a very strange coating on my toungue, which I know is not from smoking too much today as it's 11:40pm and this is my second cigar of the day. It's also not from the stella as it was there a wee bit before I opened that bottle.

7-1.jpg

Into the last third the cigar is opening up a bit on the draw and is very enjoyable. The dark flavor of tea is back in a very strong way now as is a very lovely flavor of rich toasted tobacco. At about the 1 ½ inch mark there's a bit of peppery flavor coming through now and it's mixing very well with the tea flavors, but the pepper is by no means over powering any other flavors at all. The cigar is now pretty much done and it's finishing off the way it started……very strong.

8-1.jpg

The taste of this cigar stayed with me for hours on end after it was over. The construction was top notch as was the burn on the cigar. It burned pretty straight the whole way down. As for aging, I really couldn't tell you as I haven't smoked enough cigars of this age (3 total). I can tell you that I like it though, but not since I've never been a huge fan of this brand I'm not sure if I fully enjoyed it as much as other fans of this brand would. Who knows!!???!?? I am grateful to have gotten the chance to try this though.

Score: 80

Terrific review . . . you sure don't sell yourself short on the veggies, do ya? :ok:

I have a question . . . what does the A/T signify? I've seen this on quite a few RyJ reviews, and I've googled myself silly trying to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,

Charles

» Terrific review . . . you sure don't sell yourself short on the veggies, do

» ya? :ok:

»

» I have a question . . . what does the A/T signify? I've seen this on

» quite a few RyJ reviews, and I've googled myself silly trying to get to

» the bottom of it.

»

» Thanks,

»

» Charles

this cigar came in a tube (A/T). i meant to take a pic of it too, but i forgot. oooops!

bruce

» this cigar came in a tube (A/T). i meant to take a pic of it too, but i

» forgot. oooops!

»

» bruce

Thanks, Bruce!