H. Upmann PC (a Foot-in-Mouth™ Review)

Great pics and I like the bullet point style.

A year or two back I went through a box of Upmann PC's from 98. Very flavourful smokes but just too mild for my liking. I tend to prefer medium to full bodied cigars. Only Upmann's I have really enjoyed and get top marks are a box of Connie no.1's I had from 2000.

• 8 months later...

H. Upmann Petit Corona (a gift from a friend)

This was a petit corona I had had in the humidor for a few months, and I decided to give it a try, mostly because it was the right size for the occasion (it would be the first cigar I’d smoked since I recovered for a monstrous cold, and I didn’t want to push it), and I wanted to compare it to the H. Upmann Magnum 46 I smoked a few weeks back.

I won’t bury the lede—this smoke didn’t compare favorably at all to that earlier Mag 46. I’ll get into the details as we go.

image5524.jpg

image5525.jpg

The aroma at cold was very encouraging . . . sweet and raisin-y. I punched the end, using the Swiss Army cigar punch I’ve seen Greg use so often (I picked it up at Amazon.com, at Greg’s suggestion).

image5526.jpg

Pre-light draw was more raisin, still sweet . . . quite mild. Draw did seem a bit loose for me. Toasted the foot, fired it up, and away we went.

First third

image5527.jpg

• The initial (and lasting) taste impression is coffee and cream, with even a bit of sweetness on the lips.

• These are good flavors, but the draw continues to be loose, and the body of the cigar in general is very very mild. I write this in my notes, “not a lot of oomph or mouth-feel.”

• I really feel like I’m doing a lot of work for not much at all . . . smoke is very wispy and even wimpy.

• I keep checking to see if it’s still lit . . . and it is . . . it just isn’t showing me much in the way of presence.

Second third

image5528.jpg

• Still very bland.

• I write in my journal—“Hitting the same note over and over again . . . and nothing else.”

• Very little complexity . . . still tasting of café con leche, raisins, and sweetness lingering on the lips.

Final third

• Yawn

• More of the same . . . with the feel of a little more body developing.

Net net on this smoke is that it disappointed me greatly. I’ve been wondering ever since if maybe I pushed ahead too soon after the cold . . . maybe it was presenting me with tons of flavor, and I just couldn’t get them? But the overall body/mouth-feel/oomph issues were still bothersome, independent of flavor. Frankly, I might have enjoyed the stick more if the overall flavor levels had been the same, but the body and presence had been improved.

I dunno . . . I’m thinking out loud on this one, since I’m still relatively new to the craft. I’d have to give this particular cigar, on this particular day, a relatively low score . . . 86/100.

image5529.jpg