HDM Le Hoyo Des Dieux (LES SEP 00)

Mike33

The Le Hoyo line is fairly distinct from the regular HDM cigars. In my limited experience, I have found them to be more powerful, flavorful, and balanced when aged. The Des Dieux is of the Corona Grandes vitola and this particular box has a little over seven years of age on it.

P2160335.jpg

The wrapper is a light Colorado shade and the bunch is good throughout the cigar. Draw is goos as well, tad firm, but otherwise nice. Initial impressions upon lighting is a very pleasant charred wood flavor and a little power to it as well. While more powerful than most other HDMs, it is still only a medium-bodied smoke. It is very smooth and a little strong for the first couple of inches. The Des Dieux is reminiscent of a well-aged Punch RS11, albeit a little stronger woodiness and less creaminess to it if that makes sense. There is also a real subtle spice throughout that requires concentration to pick up.

P2160337.jpg

Towards the middle of the cigar, there are some exotic flavors that can only be described generally as floral. This, mixing with the steady under-current of woodiness, makes for a unique smoke. Not mild enough that you have to really concentrate on the flavors, yet no one flavor "pops put" at you.

P2160340.jpg

Towards the end, much of the exotic flavors and spice fade and I am left with some creaminess, but mostly just clean tobacco. Draw and burn have remained good throughout, requiring only minor touch-ups. I lay it down with about an inch left.

Overall: Solid 92 and a very enjoyable smoke. It is probably not a cigar that all will appreciate, but it should be a smoke that both novices and experienced smokers will find agreeable. This is my third from this box and all have been very consistent, although the previous two were marginally better.

The Des Dieux is reminiscent of a well-aged Punch RS11, albeit a little stronger woodiness and less creaminess to it if that makes sense.

I wouldn't have made that comparison, but yes, it does make sense. Thanks for the review of this classic cigar.

Very nice review of one of my favorites. This seems to be a highly underrated cigar. The few cabs I have are sweet honey and wood...what a coinkydink, I said that same thing a few minutes ago...but it was more like Sweet Honey, Wood!