1979-1980 Romeo y Julieta Corona

CIGARHead

1979-80 Romeo y Julieta Corona

Enjoyed with Rhum Barbancourt 8 y/o Reserve Special. This rum is a damn good pairing with cigars. It has a slight edge and honey notes.

This old RyJ Corona is in great shape and you can tell it was properly stored and aged. Slightly rough wrapper with little oils. The bunch at the foot is perfect and marbled with Seco, Volado and Ligero.

ryjfull.jpg

ryj6.jpg

Prelight - Draw is spot on and there is a very mellowed tobacco taste with some spice on the lips.

1st third: Tons of smoke once lit. A slightly sweet and woody profile, but pepper is evident as well. Medium bodied. I’m getting a knockout punch of Blackberry that has been slow cooking for a pie filling.

ryj4.jpg

2nd third: Almost white ash.. Backberry is building making for a very interesting smoke. Finish is a strong licorice. I don’t like licorice, but it adds some very interesting flavors to the cigar. WOW, the Blackberry and licorice is soo damn good. Its overpowering, but in a good way.

ryj1.jpg

Last third: This thing won’t quit. Tons of billowing smoke and blackberries and licorice. Pepper though the nose and I don’t want it to end! This cigar, being 27 or 28 y/o, has thrown me through a loop. I cannot believe the strength and body this little corona has. The profile hasn’t changed much in the last third and it doesn’t have to. Down to the nub and it is melting my fingernail. I hate to put this cigar down, but alas it is time.

BirthdaysCigars2008133.jpg

ryj10.jpg

This RyJ Corona has been a very memorable experience and is a perfect example of a properly stored and aged cigar..94/100

I would be remiss if I didn’t thank my man Mel for sending this (among other gems) in a trade. Thanks a million Mel!

OMG! That last picture just ain't right LOL. Glad you liked it how bout I bring a couple more down there to FL in June and you take me fishing?

Great review! I guess I have something to look forward to when I am 55-60. My 06-07 smokes will be prime! Now I just have to stop smoking em.

Great review! I had a smoke not long ago (eh...for the life of me can't remember what the heck it was :-| ) and it had the distinct taste of creamy raspberries. I've not had the pleasure of one with such age on it. Just know it's sat that many years would add an extra level of appreciation. Again, great review and pics!!

» OMG! That last picture just ain't right LOL. Glad you liked it how bout I

» bring a couple more down there to FL in June and you take me fishing?

Sounds like a deal mate....bring the rest of the box with ya and I'll take you to my secret fishin' hole:lookaround:

» » OMG! That last picture just ain't right LOL. Glad you liked it how bout

» I

» » bring a couple more down there to FL in June and you take me fishing?

»

» Sounds like a deal mate....bring the rest of the box with ya and I'll take

» you to my secret fishin' hole:lookaround:

I'm bettin I fall outta da boat and my cigars don't.:-D

» » » OMG! That last picture just ain't right LOL. Glad you liked it how

» bout

» » I

» » » bring a couple more down there to FL in June and you take me fishing?

» »

» » Sounds like a deal mate....bring the rest of the box with ya and I'll

» take

» » you to my secret fishin' hole:lookaround:

»

» I'm bettin I fall outta da boat and my cigars don't.:-D

If you do fall out I'll make sure its near an oyster bed or something you can climb up onto.:-|