Mag 50s

Again the Mag 46 and Mag 50 have totally different taste profiles.You cannot compare them I have both and both are excellent.But to compare them is just crazy and makes no sense.

Mag 50 are Great tasting I feel sorry that you cannot enjoy the flavors I am tasting.Mine do not need aging at this time but more would make them even tastier.But they are on the money I can tell you that .These are better than the EL's that have been coming out in the past. :ok:

» Again the Mag 46 and Mag 50 have totally different taste profiles.You

» cannot compare them I have both and both are excellent.But to compare them

» is just crazy and makes no sense.

»

» Mag 50 are Great tasting I feel sorry that you cannot enjoy the flavors I

» am tasting.Mine do not need aging at this time but more would make them

» even tastier.But they are on the money I can tell you that .These are

» better than the EL's that have been coming out in the past. :ok:

You know, there's no accounting for taste preferrence. I picked up 2 from the same box and gave one to a friend who normally like the same smokes as I. Mine was outstanding, hers was flat and far too mild (I was not there when she smoked it). Normally, the MAG 46 is one of her favorites.

Inconsistant? Different tastes? Not the right smoke for the time? Who knows... I know a box is on my want list.

Get a box they are worth it mine are excellent at this time but will let them rest for a while.

But again you can not compare the Mag 46 to the Mag 50 if you do you will not like them and will be disappointed.

The Mag 50 has multiple flavors a true Connoisseur cigar from sweet to tangy.Where the Mag 46 has strait good old tobacco flavors.

To me they have an identity of their own and thankful of that.

Enjoy :-D

» The Mag 50 has multiple flavors a true Connoisseur cigar from sweet to

» tangy.Where the Mag 46 has strait good old tobacco flavors.

This was exactly my experience. I have never had such a young cigar give me so many differnt flavors. Here's what I thought about about it a few months back when I tried my first.

>>>

I made a trip down to LCdH Tijuana to check out the pre-release of H. Upmann Magnum 50. These are due to be officially released this fall, but the VP of Habanos SA visited last week and brought the Mag 50’s along. Good deal for those of us in SoCal.

The Mag 50 is packaged in the same manner as it’s smaller cousin the Mag 46, in an SLB. At 6-1/4 inch x 50 ring gauge, the Mag 50 is a large cigar, the bundle of 25 is a beautiful sight. The wrapper is medium Colorado, silky smooth with small veins and wrapped in a new band, similar to the old H Upmann band, but it has MAGNUM 50 printed across it. Below the new band is the Edicion Limitada 2005 band. The cigar has a nice heft to it and is firm and smooth along its entire length and topped with a perfect triple cap.

I poured a 7up and Crown Royal, and along with the cigar, cutter and torch, and headed to the back porch. A typical spring day in SoCal, it was 75 degrees and sunny. I snipped the cap and toasted the foot and off I went. The Mag started out slightly vegetal/grassy, with nutty overtones and a sweet finish. About ¾” in, the smoke was thick and creamy, dominated by toasty, sweet tobacco, with that twang we all love and a hint of white pepper and coffee. It seemed every few draws a different flavor was brought to the forefront, as others stepped back for the moment. The draw was just slightly tight, which to me is perfect. Ash was dark grey with tiny white spots. The ash of the binder and filler were black/dark gray.

During the second third, the 50 took on a slightly doughy, toasted bread flavor, more coffee, slight floral and citrus tones and a hint of cedar. The flavors continue to rotate from moment to moment. I don’t think I’ve ever had a fresh cigar quite like this. While the first 1/3 was on the mild side of medium, it is now picking up to what I would call a solid medium. For reference, I would call the Mag 46 “Medium”.

At the 2/3 point, the 50 inexplicably went out. It was burning fine not 90seconds earlier on the previous draw, but now, nothing! A quick touch around the outside with a torch and all was well again. Flavor is starting to pick up to a medium +. Sweet toasty tobacco with a bit of cedar and a touch of spice. I can’t quite place the spice, but it gives me a slight sting and a cool feel at the tip of my tongue. 5 Minutes after relighting, I’m not getting smoke again! I notice a small wisp of smoke from the tip, so I blow and plenty of smoke pours from the lit end. Drawing in gets me nothing! Again, I used the torch to burn around the outer edge of the coal and soon all is well again. The flavor is dominated by toasty Cuban tobacco and is building in strength. With about ½” left, my fingers were starting to burn, so I finally let it go.

Aside from the two times it went out/wouldn’t draw smoke, construction was perfect. The sweet taste of the Crown & 7up was a nice combo on a warm sunny afternoon, and I suspect scotch or bourbon would have hidden the complexities of this young cigar. It lasted for about 1.5 hours of sublime enjoyment. If you are a fan of the Mag 46, I think you are going to love the Mag 50. I do wish it were a little fuller bodied, but I feel the same way about the Mag 46. I’m not sure how this medium bodied cigar will age, but it is smoking great right now. I’m leaning toward picking up a box, so ask me in 5 years.

>>>>>>

I've had two since this one, and while I didn't take detailed notes, the experience was similar, without quite the burn problems. As for NOT comparing to the MAG 46, I agree, but Habanos guaranteed that comparison when they named and marketed this cigar as the "MAG 50".

» I'm a big Upmann fan, and these are no exception, I feel they are worth the

» money and will only get better!!!

»

» Ironman

man, you guys are killing me......now i may have have to move these up on the list.....

Love the size of this. 5 of the 7 I've smoked have been wonderfully tobacco tasting (duh, its a cigar, but you know what I mean) and slightly sweet.» What the word?

»

» Comparisons to other ELs or cigars?

»

» I really like the new Monte Ds. Back (in my opinion) to what ELs should

» be. Very good out of the box and pricey but less than other ELs.

I have a few of these and fired one of them up over labor day weekend. I found it to be quite tannic and young. It defintely needs some serious nap time to come together. I did hold a nice ash though and the wrapper was near perfect too.

» I have a few of these and fired one of them up over labor day weekend. I

» found it to be quite tannic and young. It defintely needs some serious

» nap time to come together. I did hold a nice ash though and the wrapper

» was near perfect too.

Try another Erich, I know you got a good bunch;-)