bunch of reviews

Ken Gargett

First, apologies that the planned posts from traveling didn’t eventuate, notwithstanding an early effort. It all got way too confusing and difficult for a tech-challenged chap such as myself.

That said, Rob has been nagging me endlessly in the few hours I have been home to get on and start posting - in the next life, he’ll be back as a wife and a mother-in-law (seriously, if I’d wanted nagging like this, I’d be married, and probably divorced). If he keeps it up, I’ll point out that for anyone traveling through the Dubai airport, boxes of 25 P2's are going for a miserable A$308!! Not bad value. And that is just a start (and they are not fakes, Rob).

Rob had requested a daily diary, tho just why anyone would want to follow where I was, I can’t quite imagine. Still, this is as close as you are going to get. I will try and put some of the more comprehensive notes in as separate reviews but some of these notes here are a little abbreviated as not always recorded under ideal conditions for notetaking at the time, so apols if some doubling up. Apologies for not regularly checking in on the forum after my first little effort but I found it all a bit difficult, being technically incompetent. And apols for the first week of October as I am off fishing, with a full humidor, and no chance of seeing the forum then.

I did look in Madrid for a good cigar store but found none, though had been told this was an excellent place for them. Had been told of them but my friends with whom I was staying were not cigar smokers (which is going to make their presents for the accom a little useless) and not aware of any. I did find a terrific little basic tobacconist (most in Spain and Portugal just cigarette pushers) which had some cheap prices - Cuaba Salomones for under E10 and Trinidad Coloniales for E5.5 and more. They gave me the official Habanos price list so gather that these prices were universal. Also, it was a real surprise dealing with a cigar seller who was so nice. I was lost.

Then, of course, as the taxi drove me out of town early on a Sunday, it took a different road to the one I had used in and out of my friends’ place and there, 50 yards from their home, was the biggest cigar shop I have ever seen.

There are also a few reviews here from cigars smoked before I left that I promised Rob I would file and didn’t get a chance before I left and also the mystery cigar.

Also, a tiny thought/tip or whatever you want to call it - when first lighting a cigar, if you look directly into a mirror, it gives a very good idea of how well it has taken. Ideal is a nice round glowing coin shape but if you have bits that are glowing and dark bits, then you need to show it some attention - just a thought.

And may I just take this opportunity to say - the Glorious Redskins against the miserable Cowboys? Never in doubt!!

KBG

Mystery cigar

Nice milk choc appearance, but veiny. Had a feeling a bit like icky suede and very old dried leather. Cold, there was a teak, woody note to it. Lonsdale size - this doesn’t remind me of anything that I can specifically recall smoking before but it looks awfully familiar to a spare stick sitting in the humidor that I have been meaning to try - SLR Lonsdale (it might be a shortcut but for these mystery cigars, I always try and check them against what I have and also what the books suggest - helps a lot unless Rob has switched sizes on me). Opened with a nice creamy coffee note and attractive mildness. Suspect that it might have 2-3 years of age on it. Construction was very good, certainly a little tight and not overdone (I rather like the idea of actually having to do some work for reward, at least as far as cigars are concerned). Burn nice and slow. Opened quite mild but the flavours soon started building. Originally thought that the mildness and creaminess might have been down the R&J track but the creamy coffee notes soon turned into something much more powerful. Last ½ was quite power-packed. Certainly not the same whack with a baseball bat as from the SLR DC’s but enough here for me to think it possibly could be of the SLR family. I really liked it and thought it worth a good 91. Mind you, I did have this with a bottle of 1970 Crasto Colheita and that would make dog turds marinated in sauv blanc taste good. As this is being done while away and assume most will have posted by the time I am home and can submit, will be fascinated to see what it is and what others thought.

La Gloria Cubana Medaille No 4.

Sept 05. Attractive slim appearance with a dark satchel leather brown. Smelt cold, there were hints of roast meats and a touch of the floor of a decaying rain forest, which is far less unpleasant than it sounds. From Rob and from a box - OSU JUN 02. Lit easily with dense smoke. Quite a sweet caramelly opening. Also coffee bean and mocha. Moved into some pleasant rich, slightly roasted touches. Burn needed attention. I wonder if it was just a little under filled? Draw wasn’t perfect. Also, it smoked a bit quickly for my liking. Would have thought that a few years should have done more for this. 87.

Montecristo Especiale

Sept 05. Smoked during a power blackout at home, so difficult to offer much re appearance (just hope I got the right cigar). Had a light oily note to the touch and the telltale pigtail. Elegant smoke, with spice and earth notes, reasonably powerful. Also some coffee bean notes and an attractive earthy armagnac character. Lots of roasted nuts. Moved at mid pace. This deceptive little thing packed quite a punch and for me is one of the most powerful of all the Montecristo range. 89.

Romeo & Juliet Churchill

Sept 05. If memory serves (and it has to as I’m doing this away from the Forum), this is a cigar that Rob has raved about yet when one was given to us at the 2005 Festival, he promptly gave it to a passing Cuban - the first that had not asked for something - as I was led to believe that perhaps he was not as excited about them as he might have suggested. There is nowhere to hide on this forum. And to be fair, I’ve been with Rob on this. All my previous notes have suggested that they have not lived up to the hype. This one from Rob and I am not certain of the age but suspect a few years and must also admit that it made me reassess these. They really are an elegant looking cigar, especially with that small gold band (next time, anyone’s wife wants a new ring, try and give her one of these - might work better if she is not your wife). Really enjoyed it and found it had much more to offer than before. Perhaps a couple of years does wonders. Opened with the loveliest creamy coffee and subtle nuts. Construction was fine, draw medium-tight but certainly not overly done. Burn was medium-slow though went a fraction ragged around half time. Subtle flavours persisted. Good dense smoke. Richly flavoured yet not too powerful. Count me a convert if this is what these can offer. Smoked it with a terrific, if perhaps overly sweet PX sherry and they both helped each other. Found none of the harshness that I had seen before - assume that this a function of the age, to a degree. Certainly worth squirreling a few away for a few years but if I had them, I would prefer to see them that way and not smoked brand new. One small problem that detracted a little was that it did get a little pluggy towards the finish - I did say it was from Rob. 91.

Romeo & Juliet Petit Corona

Sept 05. From Rob and from a box - LNL JUN 04. So relatively youthful but that didn’t detract at all. Construction looked good, an attractive chocolatey colour and a pleasant feel. Quite soft and mild as it opened with creamy milk coffee notes and lovely balance. Quite a subtle smoke. Moved into slight touches of a woody character and sweet coffee bean flavours. Good slow burn. This would be a good morning cigar. Smoked nicely throughout. A really enjoyable little smoke. 89.

need to split this in two parts - rob's system can't take it.

part two

Saint Luis Rey DC

August 05. Smoked this at home. Needed a lift after watching imbecilic and overpaid cricketers (may I say at this stage that as I have been in Spain/Portugal for the last month, I still have no idea of what happened in the Fifth Test but I received enough emails from pommy mates, all deleted unread, whom I suspect were not sending congrats - they never have before on the endless times that the world’s previously major sporting underachiever copped a hiding at anything and who can forget their bronze rush in the recent world swimming championships - to assume the worst and therefore I intend to remain in this state of denial until the next series, though I do believe that if Rob has managed to get me my cab of these that I owe a ten-cigar haul to some vagabond on the other side of the planet). And what a lift this was. Appearance was immaculate, a lovely chocolate brown with the merest hint of a few veins. Silky texture, just a shadow of oil. Construction looked, and was, perfect. Cold, the aroma was a complex mix of forest floor, milk chocolate and warm moist earth. Right from the start there is a lot of power. Looked back at past notes and they are consistent with one exception - as these slowly age, they just keep getting a tiny bit better each time. Dense smoke, ripe and rich flavours. Spice, coffee bean, warm earth, hint of floral and citrus, dark chocolate, cream and caramel. Seriously complex. An ideal, consistent, very slow burn. Took the best part of two and half hours (enough time for an entire Australian innings). They are tight, even the ash is tight, but not overly so. Still with years of improvement I believe, but so good now. This is the cigar equivalent of First Growth Bordeaux. If better cigars are coming out of Cuba at the moment, I’d like to see them. For me, an easy 96.

Por Larrunga Petit Corona

Sept 05 - Lisbon. Had to laugh with this. It was my first smoke on the trip and I was keen for one as had been on planes forever. A few of us had headed out first night and had some sensational sardines and then settled back for some giraffe beers - they are so tall, glasses about 18 inches, hence the name. This was in the plaza down by the river/sea front. Quite fabulous at night. I was really enjoying this - it is an outdoor dining area, though smoking seems almost compulsory in Portugal and many times did folks light up at the next table in indoor restaurants. It was that full-flavoured, rich, earthy powerful PLPC style. Worth a solid 91 and one of my absolute fav PC’s. Next thing, the chap at the nearby table, part of an older couple, starts carrying on and his arms are waving and there is much foreign language. I thought - here we go. Others were smoking cigarettes and I was buggered if at near midnight in an outdoor spot where it is almost encouraged that I was going to stop. Turns out that the gentleman was from Tuscany and far from being offended, it seems that he does not particularly like Portugese coffee (fairly average stuff, mostly) and the aroma from the cigar had made life worthwhile. He was delighted. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a spare one for him.

Hoyo de Monterrey LE Epicure Especiale 2004

Sept 05. In Portugal in the cork forests resorts. Seriously good cigar. Coffee bean notes, touch of herbals, rich and dense smoke. Possibly a fraction of a green note but still very youthful. Some good choc/spice flavours. Coffee richness prevalent. Burn was slow and consistent. Perhaps some way to go to get to the Hoyo LE Pyramide stage but on their way. 92.

Cohiba Siglo VI

Sept 05. Last night of the trip back in Lisbon. Local telly had promised a replay of the Redskins thrashing the Cowboys but it never eventuated so forced to make do with Cary Grant, Kath Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart et al. Guess that the programmers were Cowboys fans. This was a cracker with which to finish - though it did manage to set off the hotel alarms (I was in a smoking room so I take no blame). Has that lovely milk chocolate appearance. Lit well and construction as good as it appeared. Opened with heavenly creme caramel notes with spice, some herbal touches, dark coffee beans and a good mix of flavours showing early complexity. I am certain that as these settle down, we’ll see more and more improvement. From a box LLN Feb 04 so still quite youthful. First two-thirds showed a terrific cone. Draw was quite tight, tighter than most but not excessive. Rich and full-flavoured with power, yet all kept in balance throughout. Never became overwhelming. Really impressive. Quite creamy. Balance is key. Hint of a slight cedary note. These have to be one of the best releases from Havana in the last few years. An easy 93. Took the better part of two hours. Great way to finish the trip.

Montecristo II

Sept 05. In the lagares at the Douro Boys 2003 release. Also one in Santa Ana Plaza in Madrid while watching the gorgeous women walk by. Both typical M/C II’s and really enjoyed them both. Very similar, as you’d expect. Near perfect burn, slow and consistent, some dried herbs, spices, cinnamon and dark coffee. Had richness, but not over the top and also mild hints of early complexity. I have scribbled down 92 and 90 respectively but that difference is likely because there were even more stunning women at the Release than in the Plaza (I do try and keep this objective and technical).

Partagas P2

Sept 05. Smoked this at the Burmeister lodge overlooking the Douro. If spectacular locations contribute, then this starts at 100! Amazing cone on this - for starters, it wasn’t cone-shaped but stuck out like three or four matches in the centre and stayed that way. Of all the P2's I’ve tried (not many, to be fair), this was by far the youngest, tightest and greenest. Really impressive but way too young for me at this stage. Has all the ingredients for something terrific. Still a little unforthcoming but lots of spice and rich flavours. As these settle, expect some stunning smokes. 92. Lot of pepper and spice and also dark chocolate. Also a hint of citrus. When I checked my earlier notes on my return, I had noted that they had huge improvement ahead tho I did think more highly of them then. That said, I like these a lot. No real probs with the draw. I won’t be touching the rest of mine for a bit as I think they do need some time.

Saint Luis Rey Churchill

Sept 05. At Lisbon. Really have had mixed success with these. Have long accepted that they fall well short of the stunning DC’s but some terrific and others just seem tired and average and almost dull. All the ones I have tried (around half a dozen) have come from the same box - got it from Rob and it had around 7 years on it so they should be at peak. Very much box press appearance. Nothing wrong with construction or burn but, and you’ve guessed that this is one of the lesser efforts, simply that it did not shine. A little earthy. Possibly being excessively harsh on these as know how good they can be. Will persist as those that have stood up are more than worthwhile. Wouldn’t life be dull if everything was perfect! 87.

Sept 05. These are like a yo-yo. Tried a second on the trip just near the end and while perhaps not as good as some of the earlier ‘good’ ones, it was a mighty step up. No idea why these are so variable. Does have an earthy note but much more life and a richer flavour. Has good length of flavour, some spices, dark coffee bean notes. Slight raisin note. Much more subtle and mild than the DC but good flavour. Curiouser and curiouser. 90.

Punch SS2

Sept 05. At Bilbao. Construction appears quite good and tight but it did take to burning a little to one side, burn also fractionally ragged. Both these problems soon corrected themselves and didn’t impact on the enjoyment of the cigar in any way. Smoked it with a really lovely chocolatey half bottle of Quinta do Crasto LBV from 1995, which must be one of the finest things ever put on this planet to enjoy with a good rich cigar. Flavours (of the cigar) moved through cream and caramel and milk coffee and hints of chocolate, dried herbs and vanilla. Dense smoke and got richer and richer while retaining balance. A lovely full-flavoured smoke that got more powerful over the last third. 92.

Montecristo Edmundo

Sept 05. At a brilliant new place opened by Calem (port house). A restaurant that looks a bit like a couple of upmarket trailers put together but situated on the riverfront across from the old city of Oporto and with amazing views. This as solid and consistent as ever. Milk coffee appearance and taste and toss in a touch of vanilla and some citrus. These have been wonderfully reliable. 91.

actually need three parts!

part three

Hoyo de Monterrey LE Pyramide 2003

Sept 05. Poolside in Douro at Quinta do Crasto. If you could imagine a near perfect lunch at a wonderful Portuguese estate on the slopes of the Douro on a perfect Spring day with lots of great wine and no one fussing over it or analyzing it to death and surrounded by great company and gorgeous women - does it get better than this, I asked myself. Yes, I answered and took myself off poolside post-lunch (surely one of the most spectacular views from a pool on this planet looking right down the Douro with a pool that seems to have no edge and just tumbles over - you had to be there - hey, Rob asked for a report) and lay back with one of these. They are just getting better and better (I swear that the circumstances did not influence me in the slightest). Dark choc appearance and good construction, quite tight. A few veins but no problem. Cold, had the comforting aroma of old leather armchairs. Has picked up a little maturity and complexity but suspect that this is just the first stage and over the next 5-8 years, will blossom even more. Deeply flavoured with power and balance - real iron fist in a velvet glove stuff. Quite dense smoke. Dark coffee and spice notes, some herbs. Took a bit over an hour to smoke. This really lived up to all the hype - to think that you could pick these up in Havana a bit over 18 months ago for US$136 a box. What a bargain! 95.

Sept 05. Had a second at one of my all time fav bars, La Venenzia in Madrid - this place serves five different sherries, no beer wine or spirits, and nothing else but the most fantastic anchovies and dried compressed tuna eggs and it is chockers every night. The whole small place is dirt brown from age and smoke, the cash register is beyond antique (needs to be wound up to open) and the youngest poster in the place is from ‘84 and they go back to the ’40s. Fabulous. This was just as sensational as the earlier one, lots of roasted nuts, dark Valrhona chocolate, mocha, old teak. Had a great cone but the most minor of negatives, a slightly crooked burn but no real problem. Just love these. Knocked off a point for the burn. 94.

KBG