Hoyo De Monterrey, Le Hoyo de Gourmet

Box Code NOV 03

Le Hoyo de Gourmet 6 3/4" 33 RIng Gauge

This was our first cigar of our cigar dinner Thursday night and it was a slight risk knowing that my clientelle have become used to gorging themselves on big gauge robusto's and torp's.

When this elegant long Panetela came out...you could see the eyebrows lift. Well, this is exactly what I had expected but I wanted the masses to rediscover the joys of this vitola and it's ilk. It was a howling success!

If anyone has any doubts about improved quality control in Havana then take this into account. 50 HDM Gourmet and not one plug or tight draw....when has this ever been possible with a Long Panetella vitola.

Light tan wrapper with good oil. Open foot, no soft spots or hard spots. Lit and already you can smell it's creamy nature. This is a vitola which needs to be smoked SLOWLY! You need to let to find it's own pace, to burn slowly and it will reward you in spades.

The dominant flavour of this cigar is cream...loads of cream. I find this consistant with the rest of the samaller gauge Hoyo range (Du Maire/Depute).

It is mild to mid bodied and balances grace and elegance with compexity and substance. It has a remarkable tactile feel in the hand like a $5000 Montblanc LE pen. It is the best Sunday morning Coffee cigar in the world and is a staple in the home humidor along with the Du Maire.

The flavour profile does not change greatly in this cigar as it nears it's end (35 minutes). It becomes a touch fuller bodied but the cream on the palate is still dominant.

Excellent: 89.5

I am glad to hear that the more classical style (smaller ring) Habanos are finding favor among the group. Over the past year, I have found that my personal tastes have shifted toward them because the flavors found in the smaller ring cigars has been so much more fulfilling for me. I have yet to try the HDM de Gourmet, but the Partagas Charlottes & Serie du Connaisseurs have been excellent. It is my opinion that for those with a descerning palate, that the smaller ring Habanos provide a better smoking experience than most of the larger ring cigars. Face the facts, when you have a 50-60 ring cigar, the volume of the filler is none tasting or netural tasting volado, and in the smaller ring cigars, the seco and ligero leaves have a greater impact upon the overall flavors in the vitola.

BTW, I am a supporter of smaller ring cigars, to me, smaller means more flavor:-D