Red Wine Recommendation?

log1k

So I am going over someone's house for Thanksgiving who loves wine, primarily red. I know absolutely ZERO about wine. I am looking to spend 40-50USD. What's a good bottle at that price range?

Thanks,

George

P.S. Can you guys recommend any good wine books (like what's the Min Ron book of wine? LOL)

Best wine book out there is "don't buy wine without me" by Ken Gargett.

2nd best is "Parker's Wine Buyer's Guide 6th Edition : The Complete, Easy-to-Use Reference on Recent Vintages, Prices, and Ratings for More Than 8,000 Wines from All the Major Wine Regions" by Robert M. Parker.

I'm probably going to offer you more questions than answers, but......

It will depend on your friend's tastes - are they really into wine, and food pairings? Or do they just like

wine in general?

What is your intention for this bottle? Is it intended to be drunk with dinner, or simply as a gift that

may or may not be opened on that particular day?

My basic suggestion, if it to be drunk with dinner, and turkey is the main course, is to go with a pinot noir.

Though personally, there are other varieties I'd prefer, such as a well made cotes du rhone, or to move

up a step from the same region, a nice gigondas.

For $40-$50, you could get a decent burgundy from a producer like louis jadot or joseph drouhin.

I'm not a big fan of most california pinots, but have not tried many top tier ones, either.

Can you provide any more info?

» P.S. Can you guys recommend any good wine books (like what's the Min Ron

» book of wine? LOL)

Focusing on French wine only: French Wine by Robert Joseph. I have two editions. It is a great reference.

He also has a larger, world-wide book: The Complete Encyclopedia of Wine. It is written in the same style.

I'm half way through it, and like it as well.

I also have the Southeby's Wine Encyclopedia, but have not even started in on it yet, so can't recommend it

either way.

For Italian wine: Vino Italiano The Regional WInes of Italy, by Joseph Bastainich and David Lynch,

along with it's companion guide: Vino Italiano Buying Guide. Excellent books.

» I'm probably going to offer you more questions than answers, but......

»

» It will depend on your friend's tastes - are they really into wine, and

» food pairings? Or do they just like

» wine in general?

» What is your intention for this bottle? Is it intended to be drunk with

» dinner, or simply as a gift that

» may or may not be opened on that particular day?

» My basic suggestion, if it to be drunk with dinner, and turkey is the main

» course, is to go with a pinot noir.

» Though personally, there are other varieties I'd prefer, such as a well

» made cotes du rhone, or to move

» up a step from the same region, a nice gigondas.

» For $40-$50, you could get a decent burgundy from a producer like louis

» jadot or joseph drouhin.

» I'm not a big fan of most california pinots, but have not tried many top

» tier ones, either.

» Can you provide any more info?

I know he buys by the case, but I don't know his particular taste. I am giving this simply as a gift. Sorry I can't provide anymore info.

» I know he buys by the case, but I don't know his particular taste. I am

» giving this simply as a gift. Sorry I can't provide anymore info.

Then I will offer you some very general suggestions, based on my tastes :lol:

California: Something from the Hess Collection. They make a great cabernet and zinfandel, along with their mountain cuvee.

Spain: a nice tempranillo - I can't provide a particular producer as I'm still trying many.

Italy: Fattoria Le Terrazze Sassi Neri from the Rosso Conero area of the Marche region.

Or, a nice Rosso di Montalcino.

France: A good chateauneuf du pape. Tough to suggest a bordeaux, as even second wines have become

very expensive.

Argentina: A nice malbec.

Australia: Penfolds bin 389

Portugal: Something from the Douro region.

Even most larger liquor stores usually have at least one wine person, and they are normally quite helpful.

Do not be afraid to ask for them, and to tell them your situation and budget. If not, go somewhere that does.

Good luck, and have a great holiday!

if not to late...ive been drinking alot of four vines...loco...Anarchery(spelling?) maverick...sophisticate...they all have been pretty decent to really outstanding wines..should do a search for them..think he will like them..Also have had a few Amarones they have been nice as well.

chef

Tough to recommend without knowing your friend's taste. Lots of variation in red wine, from light bodied lower alcohol wines to full bodied wines. Some Syrahs can be 16% natural alcohol. Maybe get something unusual like an Argentine Malbec (2002, 03 & 05 are good years) or look for Chateau Musar, an outstanding red from Lebanon!

work out the very best wine retailer in your area and then ask them. they should be able to direct you to exactly what suits and will be able to also direct you to any specials hat fit the budget so often you can get a better wine than you might otherwise.

and thanks for the plug, guys.