Hurricane Rita Upgraded to a Catagory 5.....another monster

A monster storm 370 miles across, it's crossing the gulf right now with wind speeds up to 175-178 mph, and looks like it's projected path to hit land are somewhere near the Galveston and Corpus Christi areas of Texas, and it may produce storm surges as high as 19-21 feet which could devastate those areas as well as others. It's expected to hit land sometime Friday or Saturday and mass evacuations are already happening.

Here's a pic of a boulevard in Havana as just the outskirts of hurricane Rita passed by Cuba as a mere Catagory 1 or 2

20050921010609990001.jpg

My prayers are with all those in the path of yet another possibly catastrophic storm heading towards land here in the US.

4331ba18-00115-06aa5-400cb8e1.jpg

My sister arrived in New Orleans to complete her uni degree two weeks prior to Katrina. she lost everything..except her life thank God, fellow roomate had a car to get out a day earlier. She then tripped across the southern states...florida then georgia ...ended up in texas and was sleeping on the floor with other aussie friends, whilst officially classed as a 'refugee'. She chose the univeristy of Austin to re-enrol rather than go to Boston for her studies. I just received an email from her that stated sarcastically that it would be absoutely hilarious if it wasn't happening to her! She said Boston may have been a better option!

» This thing IS a monster,and it doesn't look like it's going to

» lighten up.I sure hope it does.:-|

» Send your prayers.....

A long time friend and old neighbor left yesturday from Texas. Everything is closed down now and they are forced to get out. So he calls me and tells us we half to call the golf course and tell the that on Sunday they need to let us tee off as playing 5 not for. He and his wife arent to worried about property for everything is insured for them.

» Bloody Hell.

Yep, it's huge.

At least the people are hauling ass out of there this time. So, hopefully there won't be near the loss of life as in the last one.

But, 25% of our oil is refined along that coast and they are shutting down some of them right now. $5 gas (US) predicted if it damages them.

Now *that* will put a dent in my cigar budget.:-(

» But, 25% of our oil is refined along that coast and they are shutting

» down some of them right now. $5 gas (US) predicted if it damages them.

»

» Now *that* will put a dent in my cigar budget.:-(

One economist, James Joyner, made that prediction. Many disagree. UC Professor James Hamilton is often a voice of reason on economic matters. He (and others) disagree with Joyner's prediction. I highly recommend Hamilton's blog. He has a comment on the effects of Rita.