Coopers Vintage Ale 2004

mgillett

I bought 3 cases of Coopers 2004 Vintage Ale when it was released and quickly worked my way through the first one soon after. Since appropriate storage was not available at our house I locked it away at my in-laws. Last week I took a 6 pack for a taste test to see how they were getting on and managed to enjoy one yesterday with a Boli PC.

It would have to be one of the best beers I have had for some time. Very strong in taste and alcohol content (7.5% I think). I have 1.5 cases of 2004 and 2 cases of 2006 release still remaining and might let them rest for a while longer (at least until the 2008 release).

Have any other members had any experience with this beer? Is their an optimum time to drink this brew?

I love the Vintage Ale. Been a while since I've had any, but it seemed to hold up reasonably well. I'd guess it would hold through to about 6 years, based on other beers I've aged.

Need to pick some up next time I see some...

» I've never had it, but will try it if I ever see it here. But aging beer?

» It goes against all I hold to be true and dear.....

It's not for everything, that's for sure. But big strong ales like barleywines, scotch ale, and old ales can hang out for years. I've got 10 years of Bigfoot Barleywine in my basement, for example.

Darker beers can hold up well, too, even at lower alcohol levels. Spicing can also help -- Anchor's OSA can hang tough at 15+ years old.

I've had beers aged from the 20s onward, and virtually all of them have been very good indeed (think port rather than beer). Friends have tried that ancient (1850s) beer that was excavated a year or so ago, and loved it.

Born on date was invented by Budweiser, it's crap.

A quality ale can age just like fine wine or a great smoke!

» » I've never had it, but will try it if I ever see it here. But aging beer?

»

» » It goes against all I hold to be true and dear.....

»

»

» Born on date was invented by Budweiser, it's crap.

» A quality ale can age just like fine wine or a great smoke!

This is gonna sound weird after my last post but ... ALL beer should be dated, preferably with a packaged-on date.

Because 95% of beers really are better within 3-6 months of packaging, especially hoppy ones. I don't recommend letting a hopped-up IPA sit rest in the cellar for a year+, unless you don't want the hop character around.

I walk a weird line here, I know.... :-D

colt, check out some of the belgian stuff, like chimay. may change your mind.

i always liked that heinekin put on a code that if you knew, you could tell the day it was made but they changed it and now, no idea. was a great way to avoid buying stale beer.

» » I've never had it, but will try it if I ever see it here. But aging beer?

»

» » It goes against all I hold to be true and dear.....

»

»

» colt, check out some of the belgian stuff, like chimay. may change your

» mind.

I believe you guys, knowing full well you'd never put me on, especially where alcohol is concerned.

But my style is more see beer, drink beer.................love beer.

I think the Coopers beers even have a "Best After" date on their packaged stuff. At least they used to. They seemed to think their brew should not be consumed too young. Seem to remember this being on the Sparkling Ale bottles.