world cup history

a mate forwarded me this so thought i'd share for those who may hail from nations not rugby obsessed, poor blokes.

and rob, yes, i will get around to a review some time.

In the 20-year history of the Webb Ellis Trophy,

So important is rugby to the NZ way of life that a hamstring twinge to the fly-half would lead the six o'clock news, and MPs have fielded hostile questions in Parliament about their team having won the World Cup only once, at the inaugural 1987 tournament.

NZ won then partly because of home advantage, but mostly because its players were more professional than anyone else's long before the official advent of the professional era.

The All Blacks also were thought to be invincible when the second World Cup came to England in 1991, but they were turned over by Australia in the semi-final in Dublin, and by David Campese in particular. While the rest of his teammates lined up to face the NZ haka, Campese was 30 metres away practising keepy-uppy with a ball on his instep, and he further punctured All Black belief with one of the World Cup's great individual tries six minutes into the game.

But if it was all down to mind games in 1991, in 1995, New Zealanders complained that their defeat by the host nation in Johannesburg was largely the work of a South African chef. The attack of food poisoning in the All Black camp meant the starting XV was largely dependent on which players weren't in the loo at kick-off.

NZ was the favourite again in Wales in 1999, when Jonah Lomu was at his peak, but while two Lomu tries gave the All Blacks a 14-point lead over France early in the second half of the semi-final, the French stunned everyone by scoring 26 points without reply.

In 2003 NZ couldn’t lose, tri series, BC, NZ defeated all but fell to Australia in the Semi Final. Will they fall on their own sword again, History says yes. Be ready NZ to welcome home your losers once again.

The only Joy NZ have had at World Cup Level

How could you forget this or this SA beat NZ

(it came with pictures but i could not work that, including a nz papr with a front page saying 'end of the world')

But at least Australia have two of these and have made the final more than any other team

‘ Australia 2 NZ 1 GB 1 SA 1

I again would like to welcome our New Zealand (Kiwi aka All Black) cousins to the forum. Management in no way supports the views of Ken gargett (swiller of Kiwi wine, catcher of Kiwi Brown trout and neysayer of Kiwi Rugby).

Managements view of Kens opinions may be swayed by the fact that New Zealands cigar orders by volume have fallen from 3rd to 26th .............behind Zimbabwe

Interesting contribution to the forum Ken.

Let the games begin. I'm a AB supporter and won't be too concern if AB didn't win the cup. I say get your finances ready to buy some cheap shares and properties..the NZ market may not recover from an AB loss.

All the best to the rest of the rugby playing nations !!! : )

mef:rotfl: