What would you do.

» I'm really dissappointed that so many people here are suggesting it.

Be that as it may...

» ...and likely harrassment of himself, family and known friends.

At the theoretical level, some would label me as a minarchist, anarchist or diehard libertarian. I really don't like government.

But I'm very, very wary of taking (or not taking, as the case may be) actions that will probably bring harm to others - particularly innocents - in order to satisfy my own beliefs.

It's a terrible situation this guy is in, and I continue to hope he finds an answer that will allow him to look in the mirror and be ok with the man he sees there.

and thus is the connundrum gentlemen. As you can see from this thread your thoughts can go from one argument to another.....and back....and then back again.

I have to thank you all again for shedding a little light on some dark area's.

i suspect that i might know manuel and may have discussed this very thing with him, though well before the ultimatum was dumped on him. he was adamant he wouldn't join and i will be surprised if he does, even if it costs him dearly. i admire his attitude and principles, on this and other matters, but greatly worry about where his likely decision would lead him. provided he can avoid harming the innocent then no question he should sign on but cover himself as much as possible (signed letters to you/me/trusted friends outside havana/trusted lawyer inside havana if any) with a stat dec or cuban equivalent setting out reasons forced into it and his full view, so when the dyke cracks, he is not swept away).

he is too good at what he does, and too much of a genuinely decent human, to get lost in their officialdom.

Sorry to drag this one back up........

Live to fight another day, or stand for something lest you fall for anything......

I can't say for certain what I would do, but I hope that in the face of true adversity

and danger I'd have the courage to make a stand.

One shifting pebble can cause a landslide. The change from within. Best to Manuel.

I just had the chance to read this...Feel sorry that people have to go through this type of difficulties in life. Setting here thinking and knowing what El Pres said about the older guys in the party being pissed, Could he use that to get out of it?...By saying that it would cause a **** storm if i did except, because of senority? Maybe i could except in the future?....Maybe to simple maybe not?...Ill just pray for him and his family.

chef

Chef.

Wish it were so simple.

The senior company men affected have layed the trap well. It is no longer a case of accepting the position or rejecting it and staying in the position he currently holds. They have turned the issue into one of "Party Menbership." I suspect they know how deep this burns for him. Acceptance of party membership means they can "keep their enemy close". Non acceptance means that they can destroy him.

The job/position is now secondary.

» All I can say is look after number one Manuel.

»

» Join 'the party' and then bring them down from the inside. They will

» never suspect one of their own.

Take it from a man with experience ;-)