Champagne that IS too expensive

jqmunro

» Regarding more reasonably priced (under 100 EUR) champagne, I've heard good

» things about the Jacques Selosse, particularly the Substance. It's from a

» very small domaine, but supposed to be of a paticularly high standard.

» Have you tried it, and if so, what do you think about it?

anything from selosse is almost always fantastic. last tasting of them, a few weeks ago, had the initiale right up there and cheaper than substance but both great. not cheap but worth it. i'm a big fan and have actually just written them up.

» really?? never tried it, do you know if Glengary in Auckland could get

» some for me Ken, or if you can spare a bottle I'd be happy to pay or

» trade.

»

» Cam -

cam, first, i do not own a single bottle sadly. if only. as for glengary, no idea but it may come into nz in which case they should be able to source it. if not and you are keen, get in touch with the emporium in brizzy. they bring it in. try [email protected] and let him know i suggested it. they have low stocks but you might be able to get a bit. he is a good mate.

cheers Ken, will email him once I have a few spare dollars.

should probably buy a case to avoid waiting too long once I've cleard the first few bottles up, I usually drink one a night when im on a roll :lookaround:

» » Here's my favourite champagne:

» »

» » ayalafl1.png

»

»

»

» these guys are focusing on a sans dosage style. in other words, a

» champagne with no sweetness at all.

» where do they get their inspiration?

haha this could be good, to which source of inspiration were you so non blatantly referring ken?

bit more info on selosse from a friend/importer.

INITIALE Brut Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Jacques Selosse. The grapes are sourced from 3 grand cru vineyards Avize, Cramant and Oger. Only 33000 bottles are made each year and the blend consists of 3 successive vintages. Each vineyard is vinified separately in Burgundy barrels.

All his champagnes are stored up to 8 years before being dégorged.

Selosse categorically rejects malolactic fermentation, so there is a nice bite to the rich wines, which are made by the traditional Burgundian process of “bâtonnage”. The dosage is very low and only fruit sugar is used to maintain the wine’s natural balance.

SUBSTANCE Brut Grand Cru Blanc des Blancs. I think the material for this all comes from the Grand Village of Avize. It is made according to the Solera principal, where the oldest wine is from 1987. The wine changes slightly from year to year depending on the youngest and most recent vintage used as an addition. You have the mixture of fresh acidity with an oxidative character from the older wines. The Solera blend is made in steel tanks, but after the original wine is vinified in small Burgundy barrels brought in from Domaine Leflaive in Puligny-Montrachet.

Re the Rosé it does not even have the word Rosé written on the label!! It is in a frosted bottle so the colour stands out and it simply says Jacques Selosse Brut (Grand Cru) The composition is about 90% chardonnay and 10% pinot noir.

• 1 year later...

» » If any one has any views on the cheaper end of Champagne that is too

» expensive, then I'd

» » be grateful. Cheers

»

» You can't go wrong with Cold Duck - perfect for celebrating the pending

» nuptials.

»

» image248.gif

why am i n ot surprised that you like to wrap you lips around something called andre?