Mistreated Romeo-Julieta Churchills

My father recently gave me some 1995 RJ Churchills that were kept in less than ideal conditions for the last couple of years. Tubos. I'm new to the habanos world and looking for any words of wisdom about what to do... Is there anything that can be done outside of TLC in a humidor kept at 70/70?

The tubes might have saved 'em. You didn't describe the conditions, but I'm assuming that they weren't humidified. If so, the best you can do is place them in a properly humidifed (65%) humidor, with the tube caps OFF for at least 30 to 60 days, and give them a try.

I don't know what the relevant facts are and I didn't want to get wordy... Stored (forgotten really) in the tubes in the RJ box in our basement. Definitely not humidified in any way. I don't think the temp ever got out of control though. I'll go take some pics. They've been resting in my humidor for about 3 weeks now sans tubes.

Any suggestions on where to look up a review to compare when I finally decide to torch one? Subtle or not-so-subtle things to look for that help determine good/bad?

Thanks for the feedback!

» Any suggestions on where to look up a review to compare when I finally

» decide to torch one? Subtle or not-so-subtle things to look for that help

» determine good/bad?

Here's a site where you can see what people thought about cuban smokes:

http://www.cigars-review.org/

I guess the only way to be sure they are ok is if you yourself smoke a properly aged RyJ Churchill to compare with your own. A pleasant task, I think...:-D

They are not really dry and brittle. I will use the selection that I received from Cigar Czar for comparison...

The wrapper on the RyJ's are a little more dull which I assume is a sign of improper storage. For lack of a better word, the RyJ seem to have lost a little bit of lustre. When I hold a RyJ firmly and roll it between my thumb and index finger I can hear the tobacco making noise but the wrapper doesn't break and the longer they stay in the humidor the better they get. Its my understanding that a properly stored cigar will not make any noise when treated the same way, and the Cohibas that I received made no noise and smoked perfectly.

I'm very tempted to submit tasting notes in the near future, and rest assured that when one "gets got" you will all know about it.

As for the suggestion to compare a properly stored RyJ to mine... BRILLIANT!!! Anyone have a 1995 Romeo y Julieta Churchill? You can have my sister in trade... well almost.

» As for the suggestion to compare a properly stored RyJ to mine...

» BRILLIANT!!! Anyone have a 1995 Romeo y Julieta Churchill? You can have

» my sister in trade... well almost.

I think you'd get a pretty good idea of whether your sticks have lost their flavour if you make the comparison between your 95's and the quite readily available 1998 Churchills in boxes that are out there if you look for them. Not the same as a tubed one of course. I'd send you a 98 myself but I have no wish to almost have your sister...