variation from the same box

something that rob and i have had our disagreements about (one of the many things), is possible variation of cigars from the same box. i look at my notes over the years, as well as just knowing that the smoke i had last month was a cracker and this one is just okay or vice versa, and am of the view that there is, not always, occasionally variation from the same box. i accept that part of this is that if one smokes them over say five years, of course there will be variation and also, the circumstamces, as much as we might like to think we can rise above such things, inevitably influence us. all that said, i do find what i consider a more than acceptable level of variation of the cigars from the same box, though this can be argued to be one of the interesting aspects of cigars (it used to happen - still does - with wine, though screwcaps are ensuring a far greater consistency, taking out the variability of the influence of cork).

rob argues that there is much greater consistency than i find - and i accept he is seeing far more cigars than i am and from the same boxes. he notes (and i hope i am not misquoting but if you are going to bugger off to bali, tough if i am) that the cigars from each box will come from the same material at the same time. true, but all the cigars in a box are not rolled by the same roller - there could be many rollers involved (unless you are talking some of the very top level stuff).

any thoughts or experiences - similar or otherwise?

KG, most of the intra-box variation I've seen personally has been more contruction

oriented - tight draws versus proper draws or loose draws - things of that nature.

I don't know how that fits in with the roller theory, or if it does at all.

I've also had flavor variations within the same box, but it tends to be more nuance

based, rather than a great cigar followed by a dud. Perhaps in this regard I've been

lucky, but I don't doubt the possibility, and I'd certainly like to know if the same

material is indeed used for all cigars in a box.

» KG, most of the intra-box variation I've seen personally has been more

» contruction

» oriented - tight draws versus proper draws or loose draws - things of that

» nature.

» I don't know how that fits in with the roller theory, or if it does at

» all.

» I've also had flavor variations within the same box, but it tends to be

» more nuance

» based, rather than a great cigar followed by a dud. Perhaps in this regard

» I've been

» lucky, but I don't doubt the possibility, and I'd certainly like to know

» if the same

» material is indeed used for all cigars in a box.

i think that is close to the mark. the construction plays a huge role in these variations. i suspect that for the larger production cigars, the reality is that there would be some inevitable variation in sources though for the smaller run smokes, much less so.

it is a touch frustrating when you have a great smoke and then a week later pull out something that was obviously rolled by someone else and smokes like a wind tunnel.

These aren't McDonald's cheeseburgers. They roll them all up and then sort for color. There is zero chance that there won't be multpile rollers having a hand in every box (except for really small production stuff where there might be one roller). And they don't all roll them the exact same way so there will be variation. I agree with you 100%. Rob is in Bali so we can confidently the he tries to sell poor Ken the junk of the trunk.

I think it is better than it was, but I have always noted variation of a sometimes significant variety from one to another cigar in the box. One will obviously have more ligero, etc, one will taste much richer, another more muted (besides the other construction differences.) It can be maddening, but it's worth the low notes to get the high ones in a box of Cuban cigars.

I will add that when I get a box that is GREAT, they all seem to be that way, and if they really suck balls, they all seem to line up that way.

Just to concur, it must be that most variation within boxes is due to construction, but that can be a big issue. Right now I have a box from 00 which is a little like Goldilocks and the porridge. Some are awesomely great, some burn uneven and hot to the extent that the flavors are missing, and some won't draw no matter what. On the other hand I have a more recent box or two which are consistent, well constructed and totally boring. That's even worse.

Which would you go for -- the model who's a ***** or the dependable but homely type? Since cigars only take an hour or so at a time (and you can throw one away for another as long as you have the money), the answer seems obvious.