Back to Posting...and Fishing

Well, we finally got done with our busy season with work, so it's time to play now!

Been smoking cigars everyday, most memorable in the past few weeks has been a 1997 Monte Especial. Damn these are sooo good. Wish I had 2 boxes. Also, the '04 Cohiba Robusto's I have are truly remarkable. I cant wait to see what a few more years bring. The Cohiba line is one that definately needs a bit of age to really show you it's worth the dough...but it is.

Been fishing everyday since we got done with work. I recently got an Action Craft 1710 Hybrid (Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Hull) flats boat. It floats in 6 inches of water and with the Evinrude E-Tec 90 hp goes about 42 mph.

I have some running pics, but they are on my friends camera. Here are a few taken this past week in Titusville, FL at Mosquito Lagoon. It's about an hour south of where I live and the redfish grow to mutant proportions! Although the ones we caught were average we saw some monsters that had no interest in the lures we were throwing at 'em. We ended up with about 8 redfish and 4-5 Trout. For those that don't know, Mosquito Lagoon is a lagoon system that has no easy outlet to the ocean, therefore the fish live and die here...and get HUGE. Crystal clear water and the depths you fish in are no more than a foot deep. You mostly pole the boat and sight fish for tailing redfish.

Heres me releasing about a 23" Red:

austingoonred6-20-07.jpg

My buddy Tom with a nice upper slot Red:

tomgoonred6-20-07.jpg

And here are a few shots of my new boat:

129_2931.jpg

129_2933.jpg

129_2934.jpg

129_2937.jpg

I'll be back on the boards to keep an eye on Rob's antics....good to be back!:-D

» great photos. any ideas on how to interest those big ones?

Ken,

We actually went real early morning trying to find them. There is a spot we know of that usually holds schools of 40-50 fish that are 30-40 lbs! In the morning is when they feed and its the most amazing thing to see a 40 lbd redfish tailing with half its body out of the water, but this day we couldnt find them. When sightfishing down there you know which fish is going to smack your offering by the way they are swimming. Fast and away - no go. That's how those bigguns were acting that day. There is a ton of pressure down there. We went during the week so it wasnt crowded, but come Saturdays the place probably has more fisherman than one cares to look at. The fish are real spooky down there and as you know from catching bonefish, you have to lead them so far and so acurate its a real challenge.

My buddy Tom's dad just got back from there today and caught one of the big ones. 47" estimated at 30lbs....here is that beast:

IMGP1082-1.jpg

:surprised:

By the way we were fishing a weedless rigs (All grass and sand bottom there) with jerkbait (Berkley Gulp! JerkShads)

» Sweet set up mate :-D

»

» It doesn't get any better than sight fishing. Truly piscatorial hunting at

» its best.

»

» Great to have you back :ok:

Thanks Rob. You hit it right, sight fishing is unlike any other kind of fishing and to me, gives the most satisfaction. And there is nothing like presenting the lure or fly to the fish just right, see him turn and look at it, then hit it like a locomotive. Nothing better.

I got your seat on the skiff reserved mate!;-)