Decided to pick something up last night for a special night of celebration. It was between a 1996 Bollinger Grande Annee and a bottle of NV Krug Grand Cuvee. The price on the Krug was a decent deal so I picked one up. The only thing to say about this champagne is WOW. What a great bottle of sparkling delight. I've always been a red wine drinker, but I think this is one of those bottles that calls for a rebudgeting of some of your alcohol money for the champers ;)

The Krug NV is my all-time favorite champagne, I've never found another like it. They produce a little 6-pack of half bottles too, if you can find 'em. It's intresting to note that the vintage years (I've tried '71, '88, '90, and the '86 Clos du Mesnil) Are not at all like the NV. The NV is always ready to drink!

» Did you smoke a cigar with the Krug? Ken has suggested that champagne and

» cigars

» are a good match. I've not tried it yet myself, but have found that a

» still crisp white

» goes nicely.

Nope, just sipped on it while relaxing. Unfortunately I have a slight cold, but the rich taste cut right through. I will have to try it with a cigar next time though...

krug is truly a great wine, for many of us the absolute top of the pops, so to speak.

it is the best choice for red wine drinkers looking for bubbles.

last year, managed to get through quite a bit of krug. had a stunning 1985 (elsewhere a 1990) and then shortly after, had a lunch where a few of us got together and chipped in and also brought some bottles. among the fallen, 79, 88 (which i think is a vintage that is only now arriving and getting the recognition it has always deserved - simply brilliant), 95. and then, the 1928 - this is supposedly the greatest champagne ever made. we got it at an auction. it was certainly past its best but notwithstanding that, still plenty of life and fabulous to drink.

love the stuff.

» and then, the 1928 - this is supposedly the greatest champagne ever made.

I believe it was the author John Arlott who said he was living for the day he may try the 1928 again. He says in his book "Krug House of Champagne" that the '26 and '28 were the best ever. Hell, I'd just like to see the bottle/label/cork! :-P

I believe it was the author John Arlott who said he was living for the day

» he may try the 1928 again. He says in his book "Krug House of Champagne"

» that the '26 and '28 were the best ever. Hell, I'd just like to see the

» bottle/label/cork! :-P

met arlott's daughter in champagne years ago. she was filming for german tv. they interviewed a few of us for the aussie perspective - never got the call for an encore.

she told me arlott's fee for the book was five cases a year. a mate from the cricket fraternity told me that the reason he was always on to comment for the morning session was no chance of getting him post lunch. enjoyed a red or two as well. apparently could time it so well that one morning he finished yet another perfect commentary and they crossed back to the station but had to revert straight back. within seconds, had gone sound asleep and no waking him.

i have the cork (which is amazingly short but back then, economic conditions tougher and presumably making every saving they could, and empty at home. will try and find a photo to post. it was one of the collection series so in krug's cellars until the last few years but never sent to australia so someone must have picked it up overseas and brought here.

len evans always insisted it was the greatest (as do most of the reviews i can find). evans also told me that he thought that the 85 krug was probably the second greatest champagne ever made. personally, i think that the 88 pips 85 but both so good, who cares.

The '71 I tried was a magnum from the Collection. Amazingly young for a 35 year old champagne. (Enjoyed it at the beach last year with no-one but the wife, and she doesn't drink much;-) ). I have a case of the '88 put away, glad to hear you think highly of it. I guess I'll try to track down some '85 now too:-D