Cohiba Robusto 94

Avid Toker gifted me a thirteen-year-old CORO at a mini-herf hosted by Matthew. Not sure of the box code. Smoked it over at CigarDawg’s while he smoked an ’06 CORO. Nice tan color with a smooth wrapper and some cracks around the foot. The cigar seems densely packed and has a nice weight in the hand. There is a sweet grassy/hay-like nose at cold. Prelight draw is firm and reveals sweet grassy and toasted tobacco flavors.

The first few draws reveal a slightly creamy, light-bodied smoke with sweet grassy and light cedar notes. The cigar is incredibly aromatic, and from the get-go I’m exhaling through my nose more than I normally do with cigars. As the smoke progress the draw opens up and the smoke volume is more than adequate. The sweet grassy flavors are at first tinged with a cinnamon-like flavor, but become more hearty and richer with a vanilla-like flavor. Toasted nut and toasted tobacco notes start to mingle with the underlying fresh hay sweetness to produce a complex mix of refined and subtle flavors.

The first ash was an inch and a half long and was very dense and hard-packed with practically no striations. As the smoke progressed the flavors become richer and lusher with great mouth-feel and a nice lip-smacking sweet after-taste. I’m finding it difficult to maintain an analytical and discriminating frame of mind as I’m finding myself being transported by the sheer visceral enjoyment of this smoke. By the halfway mark the cigar’s aroma, draw, flavors, mouth feel, body and smoke volume all seemed to be perfectly balanced to produce the quintessential smoking experience for this marque and vitola.

In the last stage, I discern some leather notes and light caramel flavors that give more backbone to the cigar’s sweet nutty grassiness. Near the end I pick up a rather refined and subtle cardamom flavor that balances out the increasing richness of the toasted tobacco flavor. Roach-clipped the end so as to extract every last bit of enjoyment from this wonderful smoke that lasts about an hour and twenty minutes.

Need to buy more of the excellent ’06 COROs and have them held in El Prez’s virtual humidor with strict orders not to release them to me for ten years!

Thanks Avid Toker for the generous gift. :ok: Now I know what the baseline for the CORO is.

» Very nice review. I have a cab of 01's that I am waiting to dig into. How

» are the CoRo's fresh? Say 06's after a couple of months in one's humidor?

Smoked the '06 CORO from El Prez's Twelve Days of Christmas Sampler in early January of this year, a few weeks after I received it. It was excellent, and one of the top 3 from the sampler. From the get-go it exhibited a sweet nuttiness, but perhaps without as much of a toasted flavor. While perhaps not as complex and refined as the '94, the flavors were very well balanced and produced a rich and lush smoke. It was definitely a memorable and enjoyable smoke.

Last night I smoked an '06 with a different box code and I would have to say that it would benefit from more aging. It was good, at times very good, but it just didn't have the balance that the other '06 had. I intend to post a review of it very soon.

» To me this is the top robusto. Thanks for the review.

:ok: I have had very few of the CoRo that I did not like, regardless of the age or year class. I have some 05 that are ready to smoke IMHO. I am thinking of getting another box soon.