Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro

Box code: UUS JUL05

Appearance: perfect double cap, rapper condition v.good, slightly oily sheen, but not "perfect".

Pre light observations: enticing cuban noxious barnyard aroma, cigar condition excellent as not too dry nor too wet - perfect spring without the crackling sound of an underhumidified cigar. Pre light draw: great - it is not plugged :)

First third: flavours initially muted over first half an inch, very smooth like any high quality cuban DC, dominant flavour of leather/ old leather, mid-way through first third, detecting some space, burn razor sharp, draw a touch too easy. On the lighter side of medium bodied.

Second third: VR exotic spices beignning to emerge - back cheeries mixed with old leather with hints of cream and traces of white pepper. Cigar becoming medium in body, beginning to pick up in stength with nicotine making itself evident as if to say "watch out later!" Cigar remains remarkably smooth, like a gentle giant. Burn remains straight and a minor unevenness is self corrected.

Final third - cigar switching from medium bodied to medium full then in the final quarter down right full bodied! Flavour profile remains the same leather, black cherries and cream, has not gained any complexity. Nicotine tingles develop on the pallette and fully take over. Would be truly heavenly after a big meal, but unfortunately put the cigar to bed early as feeling queezy.

Overall - I enjoyed this smoke with a couple of pints of guiness, listening to Pink Floyd in my shed, and it did offer a very relaxing experience. Ideally this should be smoked after a hearty meal, and I would suggest that it is best coupled with a tannic red. I was very grateful that this cigar was perfectly constructed and did not require any touching up. However the cigar is still very young and has not had the opportunity to fully delevop in terms of flavour profile. Great potential.

87/100

[unfortunately unable to post pics, probably due to my software set up]

I've had several of these lately. I really enjoyed the flavor, and the ease with which I got big volumes of smoke, but for me it was over a two hour marathon smoke, just more than I wanted of VR.

I think I'd rather smoke a Famoso and then mix in something else.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the review. I've not tried this one yet, but have had a single in the

humidor for a bit over a year. I'm going to give it a go once the weather warms

up enough for a long smoke.

As for your queasiness....... perhaps you should switch to flavored cigarillos

smoked from one of these:

image2318.jpg

» Thanks for the review. I've not tried this one yet, but have had a single

» in the

» humidor for a bit over a year. I'm going to give it a go once the weather

» warms

» up enough for a long smoke.

» As for your queasiness....... perhaps you should switch to flavored

» cigarillos