Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas

Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas (RASCC)

4.3 inches by 42 ring

Appearance and Construction: 7/10

Rough wrinkley wrapper, chocolate brown with an unskillfully applied cap. Rough looking cigar over all as you can see on this picture. Nicely bunched though with no soft or hard spots.

HPIM0053.jpg

Flavor: 18/20

Smell at cold cedar and dried fruit, pre light draw on the firm side but nice... flavors of dried cherries coming through.

1/3 Upon light powdered chocolate in the background with a twangy almost raisin like note. Cigar is producing plentiful thick creamy smoke. Getting warmed up now and settling down, chocolate subsides and leaves beind the leather and cedar with the prevailing raisin note. Very nice flavors and clearly defined without a touch of harshness through the nose.

HPIM0056.jpg

2/3 Into the second third and the cedar/dried fruit note has persisted. The texture of the smoke has changed now, a bit thinner and not as creamy as it was in the first third. Not at all harsh though and still very enjoyable... takes on a little bit of white pepper as it approaches the next third.

HPIM0058.jpg

3/3 Cedar/fruit note has taken a back seat to cocoa powder now.

HPIM0059.jpg

Cigar is getting fuller bodied as it begins to burn down now and the smoke has retaken the thick creamy mouthfeel it had in the first third.

HPIM0060.jpg

Almost to a nub and the smoke has gotten very fullbodied, twangy fruit flavor has come to the forefront and this smoker has a nice nicotine buzz. Cigar went out well after taking off the band before it burned along with the wrapper. Never got harsh and gave off mouthfulls of tasty smoke until the end without every getting harsh.

HPIM0061.jpg

Smoking Characteristics: 8.5/10

Cigar cut well with the xikar and gave an almost perfect pre-light draw, a little on the firm side but for my personal preferences ideal. The stick took well to flame and burned fairly evenly, needing the ocassional touch up to keep it burning straight. Ash was firm and greyish black, holding on for at least and inch and a half before I ashed to avoid a crotch full of burnt tabacco.

Value: 4.5/5

These cigars are hard to find but when they're available they run roughly 130 bucks. While they are small cigars what you get for your money flavorwise is very competitive for the money you spend. Also something to mention is that although these little guys weigh in at only 4.3 inches they smoke for at least an hour if you pace yourself.

Overall Impression:

Just got a box of these in and Im pretty excited. These little guy was ugly as hell but really delivered with a really unique and tasty flavor thats a very nice change of pace. Score could have been higher but this particular specimen was pug ugly and the burn wasn't spot on. His other 24 brothers look a bit better though and this was right off the truck so to speak so the burn could straighten itself out with some humidor time. All in all I liked this specimen and am very interested to see how the remainder of the box continues to evolve.

Rating:  85

» Dr.A, nice review. An '06 I recently had opportunity to smoke also had a

» loose wrap

» on the cap, but otherwise was nicely constructed - your pics are a bit

» troublesome!

» Do you have a date code for your sample? Thanks again.

Nope no box code... i got these in a couple of days ago from czar house and they sent them in plastic bag, I imagine for ease of shipping and so the "man" wouldnt get too curious ;-). I emailed lisa to see if I can get the box codes and will update ASAP.

» » Dr.A, nice review. An '06 I recently had opportunity to smoke also had a

» » loose wrap

» » on the cap, but otherwise was nicely constructed - your pics are a bit

» » troublesome!

» » Do you have a date code for your sample? Thanks again.

»

» Nope no box code... i got these in a couple of days ago from czar house

» and they sent them in plastic bag, I imagine for ease of shipping and so

» the "man" wouldnt get too curious ;-). I emailed lisa to see if I can get

» the box codes and will update ASAP.

Just an update... box code: POS SEP 06 :-P

• 3 weeks later...

I received a box of these about a month ago (box code: POS SEP 06). Even though they need some more time in the humidor. They are smoking beautifully. In fact I think I may get a couple more boxes. Such a rewarding smoke. This seems to be a really great batch.

» Dr.A, nice review. An '06 I recently had opportunity to smoke also had a

» loose wrap

» on the cap, but otherwise was nicely constructed - your pics are a bit

» troublesome!

» Do you have a date code for your sample? Thanks again.

That sure is an ugly bastard glad it tasted good. The cap looks wrong. I do not see the ussual triple cap. Did you get this box from Rob?

» » loose wrap

» » troublesome!

»

» That sure is an ugly bastard glad it tasted good. The cap looks wrong. I

» do not see the ussual triple cap. Did you get this box from Rob?

Looks like Smithy sent Dr.A the box which was set aside for Ken. ;-)

Nice review Dr.A, I love these little guys and wish I wouldn't have burned through my box so quickly.

» » loose wrap

» » troublesome!

»

» That sure is an ugly bastard glad it tasted good. The cap looks wrong. I

» do not see the ussual triple cap. Did you get this box from Rob?

yes sir I did... this was the dog of the lot though guys dont get me wrong, the rest of the box looks just right and ALL of them so far have smoked great :-D