Diplomatico No 4 Review (July 06)

That's ironic... I just smoked my last Dip4 from an order of singles last August (unfortunately, not from the Czar house) and that particular one left me unimpressed. Since it was an entire order of singles, I'd imagine this Dip was from '05 but, whatever the case, it just didn't smoke as well as the first Dip4 I'd had... :-|

Maybe I owe it to myself to try another and, this time, from better stock... ;-)

• 1 year later...

I have always enjoyed these little fella's but the last Dip 4 review left me cold. At their best, this petit corona holds its own with its special character.Light spice, medium body, cool distinct tobacco on the palate.

The example I chose was a good looking cigar from July 06. It had the pedigree of a good cigar, nice oil on the wrapper, good weight in the hand, excellent barnyard aroma. Construction was first class...bunching of the filler top notch...no hard or soft spots. If a Dip 4 were to redeem itself...I new this was the one.

image2186.jpg

image2187.jpg

image2188.jpg

Cuban clipped the end and the test draw was as expected perfect. The right amount of resistance. On the lips there was a slight paprika and toasted tobacco note. Very Dip 4.

Torched the cigar gently and allowed it to find its balance. Good volumes of thick smoke....quite dense...aroma of Russian black tea and sandlewood mixed with wet peat. Dense on the palate...you cannot replace a draw which you have to pull on slightly. Medium bodied leaning to the full side, white pepper through the nose, sweet paprika and unsweetened licorice on the tongue. Excellent opnening.

image2189.jpg

Sweet paprika dominated the mid palate but a change was ensuing towards dark coffee. Not milk coffee ala a Monte 4, but more thick Turkish black coffee which asserted itself more and more into the mid point. Still great spice through the nose. Body now moving more towards full but balance perfect. No signs of bitterness. Classic Dip 4.

image2190.jpg

Charred black wood, sweet paprika, black coffee into the final third. Draw still perfect, burn acceptable. Aroma of the smoke intoxicating on the deck as commented on by Smithy. Slight bitterness coming into play but the Dip 4 was holding at bay still dominating with its savoury spices. Very chewy....thick flavour ala a good beef jerky.

image2191.jpg

Let this little dip 4 go out just after the band. Immensely enjoyable and reinforced how good this cigar can be as well as how inconsistent the Cuban cigar Industry still is. At its best one of the finest Petit Coronas.

89/100 4/6 Smokerings.