Montecristo No.5

Colt45

REO MAR 06

Construction: Firm over the length. Foot showed it to be fully packed as well.

Wrapper: Dark brown in color, dry to the touch with no sheen. Relatively vein free.

Draw: Very firm, but produced clouds of smoke.

Taste: This was a fairly straightforward smoke, but in the best possible way. It

started with a big hit of salty spice, and though this subsided some, it remained

a prevalent element.

As the spice subsided, the taste of creamy dark roasted coffee came to the fore.

Mixed with the spice element, it was exactly what I'd hope for and expected. From

time to time, there were light hints of dark raisins, with some dried milk chocolate

on the finish.

It remained this way until the halfway mark, where youthful bitterness started to

rear it's head. This eventually took over, and I put it down.

Nevertheless, it fulfilled it's purpose of a short smoke for cold weather, and I was

happy to be able to smoke it.

Addendum: this little cigar was deceptively, given the initial smooth creaminess,

nearly full in body - somewhat of a surprise.

85 points.

» Addendum: this little cigar was deceptively, given the initial smooth

» creaminess,

» nearly full in body - somewhat of a surprise.

»

» 85 points.

Thanks for the review Colt. Been thinking about pulling the trigger and getting a box of these.

» Thanks for the review Colt. Been thinking about pulling the trigger and

» getting a box of these.

These are wonderful little smokes. I have four (4) remaining from a box I purchased back in January 06. Zero construction/draw problems. Some were more flavorful than others, but overall a very nice habano that fits the "short on time" niche. I agree with Colt's rating also. If you like the Montecristo marca and sometimes need a small habano to fit your busy lifestyle, pick up a box of these, you won't go wrong.:ok:

And as far as taste: rich dark espresso with some cream.

By coincidence I smoked a Monte 5 yesterday driving home from work, box code POS FEB06. The coffee and chocolate tastes are spot on. I didn't get the youthful bitterness that you described, mine was great all of the way to the end. I do expect them to get even better with some age. I would rate mine just a bit higher.

» I would rate mine just a bit higher.

PT, it definately started out like a 90 pointer, but it dropped due to the bitterness.

» Been thinking about pulling the trigger and getting a box of these.

Geneva said it best - if you like Montecristo, you'll definately enjoy these.

» I was impressed with how full bodied and flavorful this little thing was.

Exactly :-)