12DoC Review 9 - PSD4

Phailure

12DoC Review 9 - PSD4

I have a late '05 box of PSD4s that I have been enjoying. I picked out the PSD4 with hopes that it would surpass the '05 box that I have. I clipped the head and checked the draw. Loose draw again... 2 Robustos in a row with loose draws. I'm becoming more attached to smaller ring sticks every day. I rarely have construction problems with smaller ring smokes. Maybe I have been lucky or perhaps quality control has improved for smaller rings? Who knows... but anyway, onto the rest of the review.

I actually smoked this yesterday so I'll do my best to remember what it was like. Flavors were of toasted tobacco, almonds, cedar, leather, and pepper. There was a slight hint of sweetness which was enjoyable. For one fleeting moment, there was a hint of the dark dank forest taste of the PSdC series. It was there one draw and gone for the next. While smoking, the PSD4 turned to mush due to the underfilling. Not to mention, it burned hot and slightly bitter. The flavors were enjoyable for the most part. The PSD4 would have been great if it hadn't been underfilled. See pics for mushiness factor. This one is also getting a 86/100.

psd411as.jpg

pds4mush5oq.jpg

» Love the reviews :clap:

»

» Underfilling was first in plague proportions at various stages of 2003.

»

» It is still too prevalent in my opinion and it is something I will raise

» again at reigional meetings.

Yes, especially since Habanos are known for their abundance of tobacco compared to NC cigars.

Nice review. My sample from the 12 DoC had a rather firm draw and definitely was not under-filled. Found pretty much the same flavor profile you did, but perhaps a bit more of a cedary and nutty sweetness. Maybe because it wasn't underfilled?

The '06 PSD4 from the DoC has turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me. Definitely on my wish list.