Some recent smokes

This is not a formal review, as I don't have codes, and didn't take notes. I think this may tie in, somewhat, to some of the replys to the "overcooking" thread, otherwise

I probably would not bother posting. This is a very general overview.

I was on vacation for the first two weeks of August, and brought a number of Cubans purchased specifically for the occasion:

HdM epicure especiales EL

Cohiba robusto

RASS

Upmann connoisseur #1

Upmann magnum 46

While I enjoyed them all, nothing really stood out. There wasn't much complexity,

and the "twang" I usually expect was missing. Most were medium in body, and while

flavorful enough, were mainly straightforward in taste. Perhaps they were youthful, but they were not green or harsh. They also didn't seem to have the backbone for

aging.

The wildcard:

I was given a Trinidad fundadores during cigar night at a club I went to. This one had a wonderful dark chocolate flavor, though it was fairly one dimensional. It did seem to

have great aging potential.

I will try these, and others again, though getting enough to keep some long term

isn't an option right now.

Thanks Colt.

They were more than likely late 2004 / 2005 stock but not knowing the full story, I am just guessing.

Without diminishing your experience in any way, how do the protagonists of the pre 2003 only theory explain the Cohiba Siglo VI and the Partagas P2?

I will tell you what one of these tossers has said of the P2:

"The Partagas P2, while enjoyable, unique and flavorsome, lacked definition in that it did not appear to be consistent to a true Partagas."

So now we knock cigars which are "enjoyable, unique and flavorsome." Amazing!

Is it possible that some of these were shutting down/sick? I don't have enough Cuban experience to make a determination.

As for knocking the P2, the same happens with wine quite a bit - " A fabulous wine, but because it doesn't have the taste usually associated with this house, I don't like it"

"The Partagas P2, while enjoyable, unique and flavorsome, lacked definition in that it did not appear to be consistent to a true Partagas."

I couldn't disagree more. If you compare the P2 to some recent issues, such as the PSD4, coronas, etc. this may be a valid point. But when you compare it to some aged stock, such as a mature 898V, Lusi, lonsdale or even the earlier EL's, such as the D3 or Pyramide, well... the Party is all there, in spades.

Just leaves more for us unanointed trailer trash, I guess.