12DoC Review 6 - Diplo#2

Phailure

12DoC Review 6 - Diplo#2

Let me start off by saying this was one UGLY stick! The picture does not do the stick justice in how ugly it truely was. It totally reminded me of the pre-schooler rolled Monte 2 that Rob reviewed. On the brightside, the wrapper had a slight oily sheen to it. Near the edge of the burn, you could see the oils rise to the wrapper.

I've never had good luck with construction on figurado sticks that I smoke. Usually I find they require constant attention with the burn. This diplo #2 was no exception. I had to pretty much baby sit the smoke which detracted from the experience. Maybe I need to try the whole drybox thing next time I smoke a figurado.

I heard that the Diplomaticos marque was created in the image of Montecristo. I can definitely see some similarities in the two marques but each one is still unique. Flavors of the diplo 2 consisted of rich coffee, cream, sweet spice, and citrus. The #2 smoked without changing in profile too much but I didn't mind because the flavor was great! The '06 Diplo#2 was much smoother and more refined than the '06 Monte#2s I have smoked. I found the '06 Monte#2 to be very rich but overwhelming sometimes so I really enjoyed the Diplo#2. Anyway, I'm going to give this #2 a 89/100. If it weren't for construction issues, it could have scored a bit higher.

dip21xg9.jpg

dip22jw6.jpg

Thanks for the review. Interesting looking stick... looks like a barber pole.

I really love the Diplo #2, and the '06s are excellent. The "sweet spice" you describe is the main attraction for me. Rob compares the taste to paprika, and it has also been likened to terracotta. Whatever it is, it sure is good, and a nice changeup from the other piramides.