La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No 3 Review (2000)

Nice review Rob. And after talking about world affairs and other important subjects last evening when you called I realized that you must have precious little time to do these reviews. All the time it takes to walk back and forth to the bathroom....to the *** bath house....planning your next fishing trip, it must be very hard to relax and enjoy a smoke !:-D

» Nice review Rob. And after talking about world affairs and other important

» subjects last evening when you called I realized that you must have

» precious little time to do these reviews. All the time it takes to walk

» back and forth to the bathroom....to the *** bath house....planning your

» next fishing trip, it must be very hard to relax and enjoy a smoke !:-D

I would like to categorically deny any involvement/membership with the *** bathhouse across the road.

For those those who do not believe the existence of such a bathhouse....here is the [link=http://www.wet.com.au/]Link[/link]

» I would like to categorically deny any involvement/membership with the ***

» bathhouse across the road.

Are you sure? [link=http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=42786&page=0&category=all&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC.tld/]Link[/link]

• 1 year later...

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No 3 Review (2000)

I am a sucker for a long panatella. What can I tell you, holding one in my hand just makes me feel smarter :lol: I am an avowed lover of the larger guage Medaille d'Or No 1.....no fan of the No 2...and so so on the number 4.

It has been 10 months since the last time I have succumb to one of these. They have been discontinued so I thought it was about time for a re-visit.

Box of 10 with the cigars all well constructed although the wrapper did look a little on the rough side. The construction quality was a surprise as I am always doubtfull as to how many would be plugged in a box of 10. Having fondled each...I would be confident in that all would draw well. No hard spots to be found.

image2054.jpg

image2055.jpg

image2056.jpg

image2057.jpg

image2058.jpg

image2059.jpg

Smell at cold was light sweet spice, lemongrass and toasted tobacco. Enticing.

Clipped the well formed cap and had a daw...nice resistance, perfect draw...EUREKA!

Toasted the foot and took an initial draw...medium bodied, good level of smoke, just the hint of white pepper spice through the nose, aromatic aroma of lemon grass, touch of citrus on the palate and a little clove. Fantastic start!

Into the first inch there were natual developments on the aforementioned flavour themes but the body was diminishing from medium to light. No problem....I can be elegant myself if I put my mind to it.

image2060.jpg

Sitting back rocking in the chair and studying my house renovation plans (I will be broke at sometime this year) the cigar added to my powers of observation. It happily lingered in the background....soft smoke, light citrus peel, hint of cream. Certainly not as flavoursome (in my opinion) as the Medaille d'or No 1 which is a favourite of mine but none the less it kept me wanting a little more. I never hurried the cigar...sof draws, slow burn and I was rewarded towards the mid section with an increase in body and the arrival of some good milk coffee flavours working seamlessly alongside the citrus note and some floral elements. This is a delicate cigar....if you rushed it you would turf it but if you have a little patience...give a little love you will be rewarded.

image2061.jpg

Coming in to the last third we are back to a medium bodied cigar. I found out at this point that my house plans were wrong (my sala is a metre smaller than it needed to be) and I was cranky as all buggery. Still...a sip of wine and a slow sensuous draw put me back in the right frame of mind just before I picked up my mobile and tore strips off my architect.

"Yeah Rob..you are right"

"thankyou einstein......can you get me a set of right plans anytime soon?"

Anyway....back to the cigar. All coffee and cloves now. Not espresso coffee...more starbucks grande leche......back to light mid body. The aroma is a strong point. Didn't really want it to end.....and hence I was already thinking of my next cigar but the Medaille d'Or no 3 enticed, enchanted and performed its dance of the seven veils. Damn nice cigar. I won't be substituting my Connoisseur Series Line (Partagas) anytime soon as I probably prefer a cigar which slaps you across the face and says "Look at me!" .....but I appreciate subtley...class and refinement.

For lovers of long panetela's, pick up a 10 box of these. They are aged, and they are discontinued. There will be times in the year when a subtle temptress will be exactly what you need.

image2062.jpg

88/100 4/6 smokerings