The Macallan 18 YR... am I in trouble here?

genevapics

I went out to dinner the other night at a nice seafood restaurant here in Wilmington, De. They had The Macallan 18 and I decided to pull the trigger. It was $14/glass and served in a snifter.

When the drink arrived, I picked up the glass and nosed the beverage. Oh my goodness! I could detect butterscotch, vanilla, caramel, and a slight citrus note. I put the glass to my lips and tasted the scotch. It was very smooth. Some hints of alcohol, but not that burning feeling that I have had with most scotch. The Macallan 18 warmed my mouth and throat without "the burn".

All I can say is that The Macallan 18 is the best scotch I have ever tried (which is very few). My first scotch purchase was a bottle of Balvanie 15 YR. It was nice, but nothing like The Macallan 18. A bottle of The Macallan 18 retails for $129 (all in) here in Delaware. That's where the "trouble" comes in. So, my question to the scotch drinkers on the board: What else from the Speyside region compares favorably with The Macallan 18? And maybe a little more $ friendly. Also, any better prices out there in the on-line world? Thanks.

(I have posted this on a few other forums)

i am no great whisky drinker but i do think mccallan is about as good as it gets so good luck with the search. from what i have seen, $14 a glass in a restaurant seems good value.

so yes, big trouble. it could be worse, you could have just discovered DRC!

A bottle

» of The Macallan 18 retails for $129 (all in) here in Delaware. That's

» where the "trouble" comes in. So, my question to the scotch drinkers on

» the board: What else from the Speyside region compares favorably with The

» Macallan 18? And maybe a little more $ friendly. Also, any better prices

» out there in the on-line world? Thanks.

»

the macallan 12 is a reasonably priced alternintive, not as good but at less than half the price it is very good.

-Ryan

Based on your description as well as some notes I found on the Bevmo site (since I haven't had the Macallan 18), perhaps you should try the Glenmorangie Sherry Wood 12-year. It weighs in at $45.99 per bottle and could potentially be moderately close, although the color difference may show you all you need to know to make the decision. Most likely, the Glenmorangie is going to be a bit 'warmer' in your mouth than the Macallan.

Look for yourself:

[link]www.bevmo.com[/link]

$14 a glass is a little high, I think I got two fingers of Macallan 18yo for $8 at my cousins wedding. Shop around online and see if you can find a better price. I like the The Glenlivet 18 yo for $50 or the Glenfiddich 18 Ancient Reserve for $56.

» $14 a glass is a little high, I think I got two fingers of Macallan 18yo

» for $8 at my cousins wedding. Shop around online and see if you can find a

» better price. I like the The Glenlivet 18 yo for $50 or the Glenfiddich 18

» Ancient Reserve for $56.

Not too many deals on the Macallan 18yo on-line. It is what it is...about a buck-fifty. I've seen it for $140, but that ain't saying much.

» » $14 a glass is a little high, I think I got two fingers of Macallan 18yo

» » for $8 at my cousins wedding. Shop around online and see if you can find

» a

» » better price. I like the The Glenlivet 18 yo for $50 or the Glenfiddich

» » Ancient Reserve for $56.

»

» Not too many deals on the Macallan 18yo on-line. It is what it is...about

» a buck-fifty. I've seen it for $140, but that ain't saying much.

Look around for sales. [link]http://www.missionliquor.com/Store/Qstore/Qstore.cgi[/link]

in KC has the Macallan for $123.95 a bottle. I've seen it onsale for just a smidge over $100, but it has been awhile.:-D

EDITED to add:

I guess a lot of states have liquor taxes that really influnece price. . .no too bad here in Missouri