Por Larranaga Montecarlo

josie67

I finally lit one of these up on Christmas day, and I must say I was rather impressed with the little guy. March 2006 box date.

Flavor: Medium-bodied, long aftertaste with flavors of caramel and cocoa...flavor didn't change but got progressively stronger the farther down it was smoked. 70/75

Draw: Excellent draw with just the right amount of resistence. It did go out a good 6-t imes, but it may have been due to the cold weather and the fact I went on a walk with the family while smoking it. 17/20

Construction: Well constructed with no soft/hard spots, and the wrapper was fairly smoot with a timy bit of veins visible 2/3

Burn: razor sharp, but as mentioned above, it did go out several times. 1/2

Total: 90/100

All in all, it was a great cigar which lasted me well over an hour. My wife has taken a liking to it, and she has kidnaped the rest of the ones I got from Rob.

Nice review. I also have smoked from a box coded March 2006. Guess I smoked a couple back in June-July. Way too young to be enjoyable at that point. Very tannic little cigar. I have been letting them sit ever since. Based on your review, it might be time to try another.

Just finished one of these on the deck as I caught up with some mail.

The caramel and cocoa were spot on. One of my favourite machine mades of all along with the Por Larranaga Panetela which shares the same characteristics but a shade lighter in body.

I really like your rating scales. Most others I have seen give way more weight to construction, burn, ash, etc. and at least for me I can really forgive an ugly cigar with a crap ash that tastes amazing. On previous scales I have used I have often been surprised when I tallied up what I thought would be a high scoring cigar based on the flavor only to find it really get dinged from a bad ash or veins and water spots. Looks like I found a new scale. ;-)

I use a 277 point scale:

Flavor is worth 63 points

Draw is worth 44 points

Construction is worth 39 points

Burn is worth 28 points

Home Field Advantage is worth 3 points

Poise, 20 points

Swimsuit, 20 points

Evening Gown, 20 points

Talent 20 points

Interview, 20 points