UPMANN MAGNUM 50 LE 2005

Been very keen to have a look at the new LE’s. This was more first. Looking across the thoughts are the place, some very positive and others less so. They do have a wonderful appearance, like all the LE’s. Dark and oily, looks like an old leather armchair in a gent’s club. And a great feel, silky and oily. Construction appears good. The smell pre-lighting is really interesting - like an old Burgundy with a myriad of aromas, some chocolate, compost, forest floor and a hint of a character like human sweat. Too big for an ordinary clipper - they really do give a real sense of anticipation. Do they live up to it? Needed early attention after lighting and quickly developed a crooked burn. This was my major problem with this smoke, the lopsided burn which would not be fixed, despite a lot of attention. Otherwise, draw, burn and construction okay and a good cone but even that a touch lopsided. Frustrating. Flavours impress - there was a terrific richness and intensity. Nuts, spice (quite like a mustard seed character). Some roast meat and rich fruitcake. Liked these a lot. For me, worth a look now but I suspect that they will smoke much better in 6-12 months when they have had a chance to settle. Last third the most enjoyable and found myself taking it to the nub. Worth buying? They are not the cheapest on the market but I’m certainly planning to stick a few in the humidor as I think they’ll be a really good smoke in 12 months and would love to see them in 5 years. Not convinced to go a full box but if I had one without the crooked burn, would go close. 91. Can’t wait to have a look at the others. Any other thoughts?

Any other thoughts?

Ken.

Ive held off buying the Mag 50 until your review. Everything but the crooked burn and the human sweat sound appealing.;-)

Do you think the awfully crooked burn was due to youth, or was it too wet or dry at the time? poor construction on the fill??

I will probably end up getting a box and not even touch one for at least a year. It sounds like the 5 year mark would yield a terrific smoke.

Thanks for the review.

i reckon that you are spot on with them away for a year or five (love to hear what you think then).

the human sweat thing was not meant negatively - same sort of thing as when just one more tiny thing adds to the complexity in wine.

as for the crooked burn, i suspect that it is unlikely to be endemic - construction looked pretty good and i think i just happened on one that wasn't perfect and really was probably a bit young. if there were consistent reports of such a problem, i'd worry but unless others come in with the same thing, i think you are safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had one from my box and its been resting for one month.I have to say this will be one of the best EL's out there to come.The flavor was unreal and it was smoth as silk to the nub.Enjoy

» Just had one from my box and its been resting for one month.I have to say

» this will be one of the best EL's out there to come.The flavor was unreal

» and it was smoth as silk to the nub.Enjoy

That's good to hear.I've had mine sitting for a spell,too.I'm very curious to see what they are like.I'm very happy with the RyJ PP,and I'm hoping that these will make me happy also.;-)

Cheers!:-D

I made the mistake of smoking one of these shortly after receipt. Very, very tight draw, all but worthless. These need to settle for several months, and even then I will drybox the stick for a few days before lighting up. Looking forward to trying my second one around the end of the year.