Saint Luis Rey Lonsdale OVU Nov 02

I've been slowly smoking through a box of SLR Lonsdales from '01 that I bought from you guys and agree with some general characteristics that your review described. The construction was a bit spotty on a few sticks and around every third stick I smoked had a very tight draw to them and I had to use a draw poker (fancy name for a toothpick) to loosen.

The taste was fantastic. I would never draw this hard on a stick unless the smoke was brilliant. I hope that you just got a bad one because the ones I've smoked are some of my favorites. I can't believe they've been discontinued. :-(

» That's a shame. You should have pitched it early on, and tried another. I

» had a '92 recently (generously gifted by Bass Man) that was as smooth and

» sweet as honey. Give 'er another go, Rob.

Will definately give them another go this week as they are still one of my favourite Lonsdales :-)

• 1 year later...

Settled down on Friday afternoon with a little Habana Club and a SLR Lonsdale. It has been a few months since I have tried this SLR which has been a favourite of mine after the SLR DC which is the standout cigar of the Marque.

image1908.jpg

image1909.jpg

image1910.jpg

I have had enough SLR Lonsdales to know what to expect....assuming that the SOB will draw. This cigar has a chequered construction history and for the period 1998-2002 you were batting 50% to achieve a draw which was acceptable. Thankfully, this example was perfectly constructed. I handed Smithy his to taste test and I saw the look of fear on his face. Thankfully, his was spot on as well.

The wrapper was certainly darker than I had experienced previously. Normally it is a tan, honey hue. The flavour profile is traditionally mild, medium bodied with a core flavour mix of hay, honey and milf chocolate. Get a great one and you become an instant fan.

Well, having torched the foot of this Lonsdale, I knew that it was going to be a little different to the norm. Medium to full in body, some white pepper spice through the nose with both charachteristics being very un SLR Lonsdale like. Still...it held my interest.

Into the first inch and the body remained medium full with flavours of cloves, hay and a hint of toffee sweetness. The dominant feature was the cloves/grassiness. I kept willing to toffee notes to assert themselves but deep down I could tell it was a lost cause. I noticed the burn was taking a radical turn to the right....it was the most interesting thing to date :-D

image1911.jpg

image1912.jpg

image1913.jpg

By the halfway point I was bored. Don't get me wrong...I have had plenty of GREAT SLR Lonsdales....this just was not one of them.

The core flavours of Cloves and hay/grass were joined by an underlying bittterness that I did not like. Toffee sweetness had given up and gone home. It was a challenge to continue and normally I would but I had a crap day and I did not want it to end on this note so I pitched the cigar and went and grabbed a Cohiba Robusto (MAR 06) which went a long way to cheering me up no end.

So sorry folks....It is not very often that I do not finish a cigar when reviewing. I will try another SLR Lonsdale this week as I am convinced that this was simply a bad cab.