What is it about cigar travel

What happens during shipment that effects the taste of a cigar. I can understand sediment in wine being stirred up requireing rest, but a cigar is a solid object. It is not that I don't believe it, I have noticed myself that if I smoke a cigar right after travel it is lacking. A few days rest and you have a different cigar. Inquiring minds want to know.

» What happens during shipment that effects the taste of a cigar. I can

» understand sediment in wine being stirred up requireing rest, but a cigar

» is a solid object. It is not that I don't believe it, I have noticed

» myself that if I smoke a cigar right after travel it is lacking. A few

» days rest and you have a different cigar. Inquiring minds want to know.

If I take one OTT, it tastes sort of soapy in a way . Now I wait atleast 3 days or so to try 1 out. Nothing as if I waited a few wekks. But if use FED EX overnite then most of the time you dont run into that problem.

This doesnt answer your question, I guess, well, because I dont know the answer.:-D

I assume its from the climate change during travel...temp and humidity..that effects the oils in the cigars. I have found cigars vaccum sealed and shipped express are ready to go a lot sooner than cigars that are not (less time for temps to shoot up, which is my main concern)

It also depends on the condition of the cigars at time of dispatch. Some that are shipped too wet or dry will need time to acclimate to a stable environment 16-18C and 65% humidity.

Let me stick you in a bag, throw you in a cargo hold experiencing different temps (bloody cold to bloody hot), different air pressures etc...throw you out of the plane on the other side into a warehouse (new temp and pressure reading again)...into another plane.....(new temp and pressure reading again)...thrown into a delivery van and finally you arrive. Fresh as a daisy? I think not. ;-)

» Let me stick you in a bag, throw you in a cargo hold experiencing different

» temps (bloody cold to bloody hot), different air pressures etc...throw you

» out of the plane on the other side into a warehouse (new temp and pressure

» reading again)...into another plane.....(new temp and pressure reading

» again)...thrown into a delivery van and finally you arrive. Fresh as a

» daisy? I think not. ;-)

Stick me in a bag and throw me around, Good God man we don't want to be abused just trying to learn some thing. See if I ever ask a question.

» Let me stick you in a bag, throw you in a cargo hold experiencing different

» temps (bloody cold to bloody hot), different air pressures etc...throw you

» out of the plane on the other side into a warehouse (new temp and pressure

» reading again)...into another plane.....(new temp and pressure reading

» again)...thrown into a delivery van and finally you arrive. Fresh as a

» daisy? I think not. ;-)

Yeah, but besides that what? It is about the same as flying commercial in the US. Think of your experience with Alaska Air.

» Stick me in a bag and throw me around, Good God man we don't want to be

» abused just trying to learn some thing. See if I ever ask a question.

Mel, El Presidente may not have answered the question the way you would have preferred to have it answered, but he brings to light the very essence of why cigars need time to re-adjust after travel.

A well balanced and stable cigar will smoke much different from one that has just arrived because of the exact treatment the cigars have to endure coming to you from the supplier.

I have often commented that I let every package of cigars rest to stablize to my storage conditions for a min of 30 days after arrival. In many cases, they rest much longer than that.

You spend hard earned cash for this hobby of ours, and to waste a great cigar smoking it too soon is in my opinion a pity.

You should never feel that you can not ask a question, we are very fortunate to have members here that ahve a wealth of information and knowledge about Habanos. Because this is such a passionate hobby we all share, sometimes our reply might be geared a little hard, I am sure no offence was meant by this. Besides, I thought one of the rules of this forum was that you needed to have a thick skin and a since of humor to play in the playground.:yes:

Hey Tampa, No hard feeling here I was just attempting to be funny. Write Rob on the side and ask him if he thought that I might be bruised. He just put a personal spin on it and I had to spin it back.;-)

I can feel intimidated on this forum because of all the experience but I try just jump in and join the fun. I like it here.

:lol2:

Tampa...offline.... Mel reduces me to tears with his vitriolic attacks ;-)

As for you being intimidated Mel. !ROTFLMAO!

akin to Rumrogue being a shrinking violet :lol2:

As for the question at hand....let me be clearer if I can.

See the humidified cigar as a living organism. It evolves and while humidified will continue to evolve/age. In a stable environment it will adapt (cell structure) to that environment. If in doubt, overhumdify a cigar or let it dry out and see what happens to the cigar physically. It is not mearly moist or dry but it has contracted or expanded accordingly. Does the flavour change?....absobloodylutely.

So now let's look at air pressure changes on a cigar. Does airpressure change cell structure? Does Temp change cell structure?

Smithy believes that he can set up a test/experiment to prove or disprove airpressure and temp changes the structure of a cigar.

Smithy in his real life was an industrial designer (designed long life packaging bags in which you purchase salad these days at the supermarket).

I will pass it over to him to formulate the test. Will keep you informed.

Yes yes....how will you sleep :lookaround:

» :lol2:

»

» Tampa...offline.... Mel reduces me to tears with his vitriolic attacks

» ;-)

»

» As for you being intimidated Mel. !ROTFLMAO!

»

» akin to Rumrogue being a shrinking violet :lol2:

»

» As for the question at hand....let me be clearer if I can.

»

» See the humidified cigar as a living organism. It evolves and while

» humidified will continue to evolve/age. In a stable environment it will

» adapt (cell structure) to that environment. If in doubt, overhumdify a

» cigar or let it dry out and see what happens to the cigar physically. It

» is not mearly moist or dry but it has contracted or expanded accordingly.

» Does the flavour change?....absobloodylutely.

»

» So now let's look at air pressure changes on a cigar. Does airpressure

» change cell structure? Does Temp change cell structure?

»

» Smithy believes that he can set up a test/experiment to prove or disprove

» airpressure and temp changes the structure of a cigar.

»

» Smithy in his real life was an industrial designer (designed long life

» packaging bags in which you purchase salad these days at the supermarket).

»

»

» I will pass it over to him to formulate the test. Will keep you informed.

»

» Yes yes....how will you sleep :lookaround:

Rob,

I would like to be the first to volenteer to smoke the aformentioned TEST cigars. I am sure Smithy would have to have a human to test the results. You have my address just send them over to me, or better yet ring me and I will smoke them at the test site so as to not risk damaging the results by further transporting the cigars.

Email me and I will list off the cigars that I would like you to TEST, so that I can smoke them.

Ross...