Review: Partagas De Partagas No 1 CUE OCT 03

shrink

Thanks to Lisa's prompt service, I smoked my first one of these dalias today, boxcode CUE OCT 03.

This is a big cigar, apparently a bit larger in girth than a dalia, and it feels big in the hand. The wrapper was a bit dry, perhaps because of its trip across the pond, but the cigar was obviously well-rolled and firm to the touch.

Pre-light aromas were mild, with a sweet herbal quality and just a hint of barnyard. Certainly not strong and spicy like a PSD4. Initially, the draw was on the firm side, but it soon opened up and provided more than adequate volumes of smoke. The burn was razor sharp all the way down to the nub, and required no special attention.

As Rob noted, the first draughts were all white peppery spice, as opposed to the black pepper typically found in PSD4s, coronas or lonsdales. The strength and depth of flavor were in the medium range. The classic woody, leathery profile was there, but it was mature and subdued. The spice was vaguely reminiscent of an aged Diplomaticos No. 1. There was no evident sweetness at this point, but the finish was tangy and lingered in the mouth. There wasn't a hint of harshness or bitterness. Frankly, it smoked like a five year-old cigar.

Given its reputation as a strong, straightforward example of classic Partagas, I was surprised by the subtle and complex character of this cigar. It persuaded me, rather than compelled my attention. Throughout, it remained medium-bodied, and mixed white pepper, a mild woodiness, "paprika" spice, toasty tobacco, and a citrus tang in equal measures. A very well-balanced and sophisticated smoke.

Still, for me, it never reached the depth of flavor and complexity of a well-aged Serie du Connaisseur. I would also prefer an aged Party lonsdale, because of its greater depth of flavor, peppery spice and tobacco sweetness. In my experience, the Partagas de Partagas most resembles an aged 898 Varnished, in terms of its flavor profile and subtlety. Actually, I preferred this smoke, because it has a pleasant tangy finish that the 898 lacks. I expect it will continue to improve with age.

For the Partagas lover, this "classic" cigar is a must-have. Both for its unique smoking qualities, but also because it has been discontinued.