Cohiba Exquisito GKI NOV03

stever

Like all Cohibas I’ve smoked, this 4.75” x 36 cigar is well constructed. This cigar is medium brown in color with a hint of Colorado, and has light oily sheen. The wrapper is silky smooth, despite a few bumps, and is slightly veined. There’s a nice resiliency when I press the cigar between my fingers, and the end is finished with a very discernable three-layer cap. The nose is subdued, but I discern a slightly pungent, slightly sweet odor of fermenting hay and an undertone of raisin. Prelight draw is medium, with just a slight firmness, and reveals raisin, old leather and a hint of white pepper.

I light the cigar and find good combustion and smoke volume. The smoke is smooth, rich and creamy, and there is an underlying light vanilla sweetness mixed with some pepper. Body is initially on the light side but progresses to medium with a rather dense smoke. The burn is even with a tight dark grey ash. Within the first inch, sweet grassy and orange-like citrus notes appear mid-palate. Flavors then progress to light vanilla, white pepper, and toasted nut. The finish consists of chewy, maybe slightly fruity, leather and rich tobacco. At this point my lips are smacking as I savor the myriad flavors and richness of this smoke. Before long, I discover hints of licorice mixing with a sweet grassiness. The cigar also develops more of a nutty, peppery aroma.

In the second stage a round earth-like flavor appears to mellow things out, but at the same time the cigar becomes richer with more pronounced licorice and spicy cedar. The intensity of the flavors is well balanced with none overpowering the other; and the flavor progression seems to make sense. Nonetheless, I am finding the complexities of this cigar to be a pleasant surprise. I exhale a couple of draws through my nose to better savor the licorice and cedar notes. As a result, I’m actually breathing better than I did before lighting up!

Last two inches are creamy and lush, with pepper, sweet cedar, leather and mellow tobacco. The cigar is never harsh, never bitter, and never gets hot. After 45 minutes my fingers begin to burn and I say goodbye to a rather satisfying smoke. I look forward to smoking more of these and I wonder what more aging will bring. I’d also like to try one with the ’06 blend for comparison. I look forward to reading any impressions others may have of the Exquisito.

» I also really enjoy these cigars. The 1 draw back is the Cohiba price tag.

» ( ouch) Otherwise it would be an every day cigar for me.

When choosing a small Cohiba I tend to go for the Siglo 1. When comparing the price...I struggle to reach for the Exquisito.

Excellent review :clap:

I agree with all regarding the cost of the Exquisito. Its price tag does seem to be disproportionately high when compared to other comparably sized quality smokes.

From the postings, it looks like some of the smaller Cohiba Siglos are currently an excellent value. I've not had much experience with the smaller Sigs, but I intend to change that shortly. ;-)