Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona 2001

this is a bit of a follow along from the bolivar 2003 review recently posted. got me thinking about these - the last time i had one was actually last night (a mate on the coast has a terrific restaurant and if everyone has finished and we are all that is left, has no probs with us having a cigar). i got a box of these from rob a few months back. managed to put a bit less than half away in deep storage and then, after giving the others a suitable rest (about six hours, if i remember correctly), have steadily, and far too rapidly, worked my way through the rest of them.

can't put my hands on the specific code at the moment - apologies - but they have been a real joy to smoke. they have not quite matched the 97 lusi's i got from rob a while back but that aside, i have enjoyed every one. they are quite subtle and mild and a great advertisement for what a few years age can do for a cigar. i was no huge fan of these when i had tried them as young smokes. with some age, a whole new world. they have a creamy coffee character and a light nuttiness. construction on them all has been good. a little spice. inevitably, the flavours build over the course of the cigar but don't ever become harsh or overwhelming or too powerful. this would be a great smoke for anyone who enjoys the larger format in a milder style.

my scores have consistently been 90-92 without fail and i suspect the slight discrepancy has been just how i feel on the day. for me, yet more compelling evidence that putting a few years on a good cigar multiplies the rewards.

Ken, I agree nearly completely on this one. I have some from '02 or '03 - forget

exactly - which are as you describe, except that along with the nuttiness, I found

them to be lightly woody versus creamy coffee.

I have a few more that I'm trying to leave be.

» Ken, I agree nearly completely on this one. I have some from '02 or '03 -

» forget

» exactly - which are as you describe, except that along with the nuttiness,

» I found

» them to be lightly woody versus creamy coffee.

» I have a few more that I'm trying to leave be.

funny you say that. in the notes, that is another descriptor that pops up regularly - a light woodiness. very pleasant.