Partagas Lusitanias NISU TTH01

Mike33

Just purchased this beautiful cigar from '98 about a week ago; my first aged Habanos!!:-D

PDR_0005.jpg

I decided to pair it with a glass of Patron Anejo Tequila. This wasn't a very good choice to be honest. Too powerful for a light, medium cigar.

The cigar was very well constructed, beautiful dark wrapper that had a good firmness throughout. The burn did get a little ragged towards the middle but evened out after a couple of touch-ups. One big surprise was how dark the ash was; I've never seen a darker ash. Weird...

On to the taste.....by far the most complex cigar in terms of flavors I have had. It started out with an herbel taste and changed to a leathery, somewhat spicy taste about an inch in. From here, the taste kept changing from floral notes to roasted nuts, back to leathery and even some vanilla. About half way through, the cigar developed into a stronger core of pure leather. Towards the end, there were lighter floral notes and some spice, but it mostly remained that leather core.

To be honest, I think I was expecting a little too much from this cigar. It was very good and tasty, maybe a little too medium, light-bodied though. It also didn't help drinking the Patron with it. ;-)

Overall......90 (I'm starting to rate my cigars, don't know if I'm experienced enough but what the hell! ;-)) I'm curious to know if anyone else has thoughts on this cigar from around the same age?

i got a box from rob about three years ago - FPG OLSO - which he told me was from 1998. we have been through this before and we have mentioned that although that would be 1990, it is a very blurry printing and could be OLSU, which would work.

i am down to my last couple of sticks - i don't think i have ever bought a box of smokes which has given me more pleasure. almost every one has been a superstar. am enjoying a box of hoyo DC's from 01 at the moment but, as good as they are, these knock 'em out of the park. they say that if you go back a few years, you move into the older style partagas lusi's (can't speak from personal experience) which were much more powerful and had more in common with the SLR DC's (if anyone wants to comment either way on that, please do). they must have been superb but i have loved my lusi '98s and will miss them terribly when they are gone. i think i have rated them all above 90 (i might be more generous than many). they have certainly been far milder and more subtle than the SLR's.

the only downside is that when you have finished them, it is going to be very hard to find anything to replace them.

this was on rob's recommendation and, whatever other crap he may have put me through, he is forgiven on account of these.

I've been lucky enough to have had a fiver of 92 Lusis. Incredibly strong & earthy flavors, much more in common with the Partagas Piramides ELs than the post 95 Lusis.

» Overall......90 (I'm starting to rate my cigars, don't know if I'm

» experienced enough but what the hell! ;-)) I'm curious to know if anyone

» else has thoughts on this cigar from around the same age?

Interesting Mike. I just acquired a box of Lusi's with the same boxc code. I was alittle skeptical about this provincal factory having read mixed reviews regarding the production. After receiving them, I let them stabilze for about a week and smoked my first one today. Upon toasting the foot, the draw was tight. I noticed the capped end was significantly firmer then the rest of the cigar and do I decided to clip further down a good half inch lower. That solved the draw issue. (Im thinking the cap glue soaking in does this?).

The first third was really smooth with zero harshness. I was able to inhale but just a tad. I would describe the flavor as earthy. The cigar burned even and true and did not require a touch up. The second third really started to change. The draw was fantastic and I started to taste strong coffe flavors and noted cuban tobacco twang. My lips started to tingle. The last third really displayed the strength of this brand with a slight harness. The flavor remained a mixture of expressos and tobacco and my lips really tingled (I tend not to get "green" from smoking).

Overall the aroma of the Lusi was superb. The flavor was consistent with what I look for in a full bodied cigar with med/full strength. I would rate it slightly higher then 90 as I enjoyed smoking it. Probably one of the better cigars I have smoked in recent months.

I think what I learned the most by smoking this cigar was that in the end aging is worth it. It really is amazing what 5+ years will do.

:-)

~Heavysmoke~

» I think what I learned the most by smoking this cigar was that in the end

» aging is worth it. It really is amazing what 5+ years will do.

»

I now know why everyone loves aging their cigars!!:-D

I'm surprised you found yours full-bodied, mine was really medium, even light-bodied. The cigar was really pretty amazing the more I think about it, so many flavors and complexity!! It's going to be hard to not smoke them all right away! :-)

I split this box with my brother(Mark Twain) so i'm interested to see what he has to say about one when he gets around to smoking it.

» I split this box with my brother(Mark Twain) so i'm interested to see what

» he has to say about one when he gets around to smoking it.

Oh, so now you want to know what I think about it? Judas. Its not like you snuck into my coolidor and started smoking this baby when I just came home from a long day at the Uni. And it wasn't mean at all that I had a sinus infection at the time and had to listen to you talk about how great the flavors were as I coughed and sneezed my head off for half an hour and couldn't smoke a cigar for 10 days.

Did I mention that I'm going to kill you?:-P

» » I split this box with my brother(Mark Twain) so i'm interested to see

» what

» » he has to say about one when he gets around to smoking it.

»

» Oh, so now you want to know what I think about it? Judas. Its not like you

» snuck into my coolidor and started smoking this baby when I just came home

» from a long day at the Uni. And it wasn't mean at all that I had a sinus

» infection at the time and had to listen to you talk about how great the

» flavors were as I coughed and sneezed my head off for half an hour and

» couldn't smoke a cigar for 10 days.

»

» Did I mention that I'm going to kill you?:-P

You two bickering bastards, send me the whole box and be at peace. I like the Lusi but accept the fact that it is not the rock your world cigar like the RAG and SLRDC.

» »

» You two bickering bastards, send me the whole box and be at peace. I like

» the Lusi but accept the fact that it is not the rock your world cigar like

» the RAG and SLRDC.

Mel, you feel that strongly about the SLRDC....I might have to try a few on your recommendation. Looking for that rock....;-)