La Corona Petite Corona (FR NISN)

I have been absent from doing reviews lately, so here is the first is a series of cigars that I have smoked in the last few days.

La Corona Petite Corona (FR NISN)

This was an ugly little cigar with a medium-to-dark brown wrapper. There are a number of sunspots on the wrapper. I would qualify this as a very rustic cigar in appearance. The pre-light nose was abundant, with good coffee and sweet earth. The pre-light draw was perfect.

The cigar lit easily and the draw upon lighting was excellent. Smoke production was beyond satisfactory...bording on billowing. Each easy puff brought mouthfuls of thick smoke out of the cigar. The initial burn was a little uneven, but it self-corrected rather quickly. Not surprisingly, the ash was a little flakey. It was dark gray in color with little to no striation. The cigar went out on me a couple of times. The only real complaint was that the cigar burnt a little hot toward the 2 inch marke, causing me to put it down a bit before I was ready.

The initial flavor was peppery. There was an earthiness and good straight-forward tobacco flavors. After about a quarter-inch, the pepper died down and was replaced by good, strong coffee. The tobacco became more "toasted" as I smoked. It developed a pleasant muskiness early on...another iteration of the tobacco flavors. The toastiness mixed with the coffee flavors were excellent...combinantions of flavors that I've not experienced before. The flavors toned down after about 1.5 inches, though some definite cocoa notes were present. The tobacco flavors were smooth and the coffee was creamy. An excellent tasting cigar.

This machine made cigar was a little off the beaten path for me. The flavors were outstanding, though the construction left something to be desired. However, I greatly enjoyed this cigar and it showed what 15 years can do for the tobacco. I give the La Corona Petite Corona an A- (90-91).

Thanks, Dawg. I find your reviews to be wonderfully descriptive of the flavor profiles. As close as I can come to smoking it myself. I've never been interested in this marca, but you sure make it sound good, something like an aged Montecristo?

Nice review Dawg. :ok: Many thanks for sharing one with me. Smoked it this evening.

Gave it an ever so small clip to keep a rather firm draw. Found an intriguing combination of flavors I've never really experienced. The initial rich peppery and hearty strong tobacco flavor soon settled into a slightly sweet coca-cola like flavor! It was even slightly effervescent on the finish. With the pepper notes it almost verged on being Dr Pepper-like. Am I nuts?

With two inches left it became slightly bitter and I could taste some tar, but after opening the draw a bit it returned to being a rich strong tobacco tasting smoke. It seemed to lose some of its flavor complexity shortly thereafter, but that would indicate to me that it could still stand some more aging. Good job in "scoring" this cigar.