La Gloria Habano ‘Medialle D’Or No 1'

A recommendation by Rob when we were visiting the Habanos store on Fifth Avenue in Miramar (worth a visit - has been better stocked in the past than it was on this trip but the one thing I hate about it is the bizarre design of its humidor which follows the wall around making it difficult to bend and see what is on the lower shelves and almost impossible to pass anyone when inside).

I’m not usually one for the long thin cigars but this panatella went a long way to changing my mind. A lovely mild smoke, which worked wonderfully with the 7-year-old rum we tried (what we’ll do for other members of the forum...), it was nicely balanced, mild and oozing citrus notes throughout. Some underlying herbs but the citrus tang ruled. Burnt well with a lovely cone and the flavours developed throughout. 89.

Rob. One of the most satisfying cigars of recent times. I swear I was smoking dried orange peel. Perfect burn with a perfect oily circle below the burn line. The 7 year old Santigo rum was nice too :-D

Box code was 1998

• 1 year later...

» Still enjoying 01's which are approaching 98's citrus intensity but not

» quite there yet.

I have heard this before.....The older the LGCs' get, the more citrus , sweetness is tasted.

I like the whole lineup of LGC