Sancho Panza Corona (CAV ABR02)

Sancho Panza

Corona

5 5/8 x 42 Corona (CAV ABR02)

Prelight: A smooth, yet slightly rustic looking, colorado maduro the color of cocoa powder. Few veins but with a couple of pale sunspots here and there. Cut very easily. Prelight draws revealed no flavors and the draw seemed just fine.

Beverage: Samuel Smith Imperial Stout

Flavor: A deep and powerful mixture of earth and wood that I've found are the hallmarks of this marque. Dusted with white pepper and a little sprinkling of cocoa powder. Roasted bell peppers and maybe a touch of cinnamon. As the smoke developed, I noted the cocoa acquired a sweeter flavor and became more like a milk chocolate bar. The sensation of black pepper was very strong, the woodiness deepened even more, and I noted some hints of leather, no doubt the product of the tannins young Sanchos are prone to softening up and developing. Here and there, I caught furtive glimpses of elusive Sancho Panza sea salt. Two-thirds through, I could detect a nice cedary flavor on the finish and the Sancho Panza grassy flavor came onto the palate. The flavors of the cigar went very nicely with the Imperial Stout, even better than I had expected. Smoked it down to the nub. Mild-medium in body with a lot of rich flavor, yet low nicotine strength.

Construction: Burned excellently, staying straight and always quick to correct itself with no help from me. I had to leave it for a few minutes and when I came back, it relit flawlessly with no bitterness or bad burn. The ash was still very dark despite the age and was a bit flaky. Draw was just right.

Summary: A product of one of the La Habana provincial factories, this is one of the best aged Sanchos I've had in quite a while. Very similar, in my opinion, to the shorter Non Plus with lots of rich flavors and the woody, salty, grassy characteristics of the Sancho Panza brand. Living proof that "mild" does not mean it has to sacrifice any of the flavors of good cigar tobacco. You don't see these sold a lot, but I'd recommend putting away a box if you can find them.

» What a great review. It makes me want to go down to the humidor and dig one

» out for Lunch.

»

» Actually....I am heading downstairs now.

»

» Well done :clap:

Hope your's is as good as mine...and as good as the Sancho you had the other day.

Hopefully someday I can be quicker on the draw and get in on one of your blind tastings :-D

» » What a great review. It makes me want to go down to the humidor and dig

» one

» » out for Lunch.

» »

» » Actually....I am heading downstairs now.

» »

» » Well done :clap:

»

» Hope your's is as good as mine...and as good as the Sancho you had the

» other day.

»

» Hopefully someday I can be quicker on the draw and get in on one of your

» blind tastings :-D

Sounds like Sancho Panzas are to be my next sampler. They sound like a great sleeper brand.

» This fine review makes me curious to try this brand. They sound as if they

» are very complex and worth a shot.

nah, they're terrible. :wink: i hope my hopes of getting another one of these boxes before they're gone haven't just gone down the tubes. i like this cigar, but i sure as hell didn't taste everyting in mine that you did in yours. i just tasted a fine cigar that was very well balanced.

bruce

» Which vitola in the SP range would be considered to be their best? Mild or

» strong I don't care. I love flavor though.

Everyone seems to love the Belicosos. Used to have a lot of construction issues, but those seem to have all been fixed in the last few years, so they should be good. I'm pretty impressed with the Non Plus and Corona as well.

» Which vitola in the SP range would be considered to be their best? Mild or

» strong I don't care. I love flavor though.

My favorite is the Belicoso. Have had nothing but good ones. I know many like the Non Plus as well, but I have never had one smoke well for me.