Punch Petit Punch (PAS OCT00)

This is a small (4” x 40) rich brown, slightly box-pressed cigar with a light oily sheen. Construction for such a small cigar was excellent with some slight veining, and a very discernable three-layer cap. Prelight with a notch cut revealed an easy draw with sweet earthy and tangy leather flavors. I also noticed a light mustiness. The initial smoke volume and body were on the light side, but definitely grew as the smoke progressed. The burn was fairly even with only one run that corrected itself, and the smoke never became hot. The ash was grey, serrated and very firm. This little gem of a cigar was a new discovery for me and lasted 50 minutes.

The initial lighting produced a creamy, honey-like sweetness mingled with light pepper and a spicy woodiness. Light tobacco flavors also came through on the sweet finish. About an inch in, the smoke became more lush and creamy with a light rounded mushroom note that mellowed out the spicy wood flavors. Very yummy! All told, the flavors were quite discernable and straightforward, and, while light at the onset, grew in intensity.

At the halfway point, the finish had more of a cedar-like and tangy sweetness, and I picked up some citrus notes (more like orange) for a brief period. The smoke was very aromatic and definitely increased in volume and strength at this point. The last third produced more of peppery zest that flowed into the always-present honeyed woodiness. I also discerned a curious dried fig and leather combination on the finish. The last inch packed quite a punch (no pun intended) with cedar, tangy leather and rich earthy flavors. The finish was long and very pleasant.

Burned my fingers on this one! Given the excellent construction, the easy smoking qualities and the myriad flavors, this cigar represents an excellent value. I definitely recommend this cigar to those who haven’t tried it, and I’m eager to hear from those who have. I’m also curious to know how these smoke when they’re young.

Hey, Stever:

My favorite smaller-guage Punch is the Petite Coronas del Punch. They need about four years to mature, but when they're ripe, they're delicious. Second choice would be the SS No. 1, but again, they need at least four, preferably five or six years of sleep.

Excellent review Steve.

I love these little cigars and miss the days whenthey use to come in cabinets of 50. They were some of the finest half corona's of all.

I agree with everyone's assessment of Punch Super Seleccion No 1.

• 2 years later...

» »Shrink:

» I really enjoy the Punch Royal Selection No. 12, but I need to try some of

» the other small cigars in this line. Any recommendations? I'm on the hunt

» for more dried fig.

I would Highly recommend the Puch Super Selection#1 :-D

One of my favoritesimage1191.jpg

I find they are quite similar to the RS #12.

» » »Shrink:

» » I really enjoy the Punch Royal Selection No. 12, but I need to try some

» of

» » the other small cigars in this line. Any recommendations? I'm on the

» hunt

» » for more dried fig.

»

» I would Highly recommend the Puch Super Selection#1 :-D

» One of my favoritesimage1191.jpg

» I find they are quite similar to the RS #12.

Steve...Great Review! :ok:

I don't find that the SS#1 and RS#12 are THAT similar. They do both share the Punch profile, but the RS#12 is a stronger, more tannic cigar IMHO. The SS#1 has a bit sweeter characteristic and more of the Punch punchiness (for lack of a better description). And yes, you definitely need to smoke the SS#1 if you have not. They are fantastic.