Lagavulin 16 yr - Tried it!

Erol

wow,

¿what can I say?

Served neat, and after a night of drinking a lot, i figured it would go down easy.

But nope! I could taste nothing but paint thinner... it even smelled from about a metre away, my girlfriend couldn't take it! In the distance there was that gentle whiskey taste, but that turpentine or whatever was too overpowering, I couldn't finish it.

Maybe my taste buds are too young, is that what it's supposed to taste like? Is that what premium single malt whiskey is like? If so I'll stick to the 'cheap' stuff!:-D

I have actually had a bad experience with Lagavulin after drinking many vodkas in tonic. I was ready for another round and my friend had just started one, so I slowed things down with a scotch. The Lagavulin tasted bad to me. I don't know what paint thinner tastes like, but this taste was sort of chemical-like. Perhaps drinking other alcohol before hand can adversely affect the taste.

I usually drink it first thing in a night out, at a nice place, and move on to more inebriation conducive fluids later. For me, a good scotch is more for tasting than for getting drunk. I usually drink it until I feel a "buzz." I never stay at a swanky joint long enough to get drunk from the scotch. The Islay scotches are very smokey tasting. If your palate is "uncomprimised", thats what you would most likely taste. If you find the Islay scotches still aren't to your liking, don't give up on single malt altogether. There are many varying regions of Scotland that produce a myriad of different tastes. Glen Livet is a relatively inexpensive single malt that can be very nice. Good luck!

PS Did you ever smoke that Sancho Panza Sanchos?

While I love Lag16, I prefer it's neighbor Laphroaig 10CS - but to each his own.

Dont give up on single malts - Islays are not really a "point of entry" scotch - I would recommend Macallan, Cragganmore, and Clynelish, then work up to Talisker and Bowmore.

» While I love Lag16, I prefer it's neighbor Laphroaig 10CS - but to each his

» own.

»

» Dont give up on single malts - Islays are not really a "point of entry"

» scotch - I would recommend Macallan, Cragganmore, and Clynelish, then work

» up to Talisker and Bowmore.

I'm a HUGE fan of single malts, but I just dont care for the Islays either. Laphroig tastes to me like an old rubber boot.

Macallan 18 year old is still one of my all-time-favorite-in-the-whole-wide-world beverages. Unctious and peaty, with a smooth smokey flavor....mmmmmm

cool thanks for the advice. When I get a chance I'll make sure its the first drink I try.

I don't get drunk off expensive drinks either, but unfortunately this was the last drink and one of the few places that carry lagavulin that I knew of, so I couldn't pass it up and I could still taste some stuff lol.

» PS Did you ever smoke that Sancho Panza Sanchos?

not before chopping it up into little peices. :-D

Joke! Nope its in a ziplock bag with a waterpillow

» To each his own. I don't like it. I just tried the best whiskey I have

» ever had. Compass Box Hedonism. Holy crikey. Look it up at

» compassboxwhiskey.com.

Lagavulin isn't a beginner's single malt...it's either the first or second-most peaty and smoky malts there is. As others have mentioned, try a Highland malt or etc--my other favorites besides Lagavulin are Oban, Talisker, and Bowmore.

• 1 month later...

I also really enjoy Lagavulin 16 year. But then again, I also love Talisker.

If you are looking for something a bit less peaty, go with Oban. Another favorite of mine. Very smooth and likely a good entry Scotch, although one you will not likely leave behind.

» I also really enjoy Lagavulin 16 year. But then again, I also love

» Talisker.

»

» If you are looking for something a bit less peaty, go with Oban. Another

» favorite of mine. Very smooth and likely a good entry Scotch, although

» one you will not likely leave behind.

All three are fabulous!

I love them all!

Ther is always Laphroig too, a little rougher around the edges, but a decent peaty scotch. Interestingly enough I read an article in the Malt Advocate talking about peat levels. Apparently peat malts were almost 3 times as peaty 200 years ago as they are today. Can you imagine THAT? :-D

Lagavulin 16 is not for the novice scotch drinker. It is a scotch that has a smokey peaty taste. After many years of drinking highland swill(also referred to as having a medicine taste), I switched to single malt Islay scotch and Lagavulin 16. It pairs up well w/Habano cigars. X