Vegas Robaina Familiar (PUC AGO01)

Sat at the Grille last night with a glass of Baker's and this cigar. Here are my thoughts:

Vegas Robaina Familiar (PUC AGO01)

This cigar had a light to medium brown wrapper with a few noticible veins. The was just a slight box-press to the cigar. The seams were a little loose, but the triple-flagged cap was clean and neat. The nose was very mild, with some earth and coffee hints. There was also a slightly musty smell to the cigar. I clipped the cigar and tested the draw...a little firmer than I would like.

I applied the torch and the flames lept to the cigar. The draw remained tight, but smoke production was adequate. No billowing mouthfuls, but enough to blow a smoke ring or two. The burn was very even, requiring absolutely no attention whatsoever. The ash actually changed a bit as I smoked. The first third was very firm and very white...signaling very complete combustion. The second third was still firm, but darker in color, with more mottling. The last third was not as firm and darker still. The cigar stayed cool until the last 1.5 inches where it heated up on the tongue. I tossed it at the 1 inch mark as it was too hot.

I really like the VR Famosos and Unicos, but the taste of this cigar was just not there. It was muted. It started with some straight forward tobacco flavors with a nice toasted note. There was a smokey quality to the tastes as well...almost like when you add chicory to coffee. As the cigar developed, there were some light cardamon and coffee notes to round out the tobacco and some earth crept into the profile. As the cigar moved toward the last third, however, it developed some fairly unpleasant muddy/mineral flavors. Then, the coup de grace...ammonia. Yep, there was considerable ammonia on the last third of this cigar. I tried to bear with it, thinking it would pass. It did not. Blech.

I have to say...I did not really enjoy this cigar very much. It had some moments, but even the good flavors were muted and not distinguished. I will try another, but not for 6 months or so. I give this cigar a B-(80-83).

Well, Dawg, you can't win 'em all. I've never had a Familiar, but like you, I enjoy a Unicos or Famoso from time to time. An aged Clasico can also be pretty good.

It's surprising that you found ammonia at the end of an '01 cigar. I don't think I've ever tasted it on a smoke this old, but it suggests that there may have been something wrong with the provenance. I would like to hear from Prez on this one.

Thanks for the review, and the heads up.

» B-(80-83).

Id have to agree with you. I had high hopes for this cigar, but thankfully only purchased a couple sticks. The first was a hopeless plug, and I went blue in the face trying to get it to burn. The second I had just last nite, and your description was right on.

» but the taste of this cigar was just not there. It was muted.

Dawg, this is how I'm finding some recent famosos (though not to the point of

ammonia), and to a lesser extent, unicos. I have high hopes for all, but there are

other cigars of the same vintage that are fairing much better at this time.

We shall see.......

P.S. How was Boston / Cambridge

Nice review. This is a cigar I have tried numerous times and always find the same outcome as you describe here. I enjoy the Classico and Unicos with some decent age on them.... but this vitola leaves me disappointed every time.

Another great review Dawg!

Wow. I would have picked the Familiar as one of my top 3 Corona's.

The big problem in 99/00 was that many cigars were rolled way too wet. It is the reason for so many tight rolls/plugged cigars and the reason why many still have an amonia/green profile. I would not have expected it in an 01 rolled cigar athough I suspect it may have been rolled earlier.