Partagas Coronas Grandes URL DIC00

This cigar is from the recent release which was available in Germany. This was a very unique cigar in several ways.... let me explain-

First off one would immediately assume the entire box was plugged as the cigars for the most part are hard as dowels showing only the slightest give when pressed. When clipped however, at least the two I have consumed, the draw is tight but not plugged. I would suspect that I may discover a few that are plugged by the time I get through the box. Upon lighting and burning about 3/4" the draw opened up. Given the firm roll the cigar burned very slowly as one would suspect, but perfectly with a flat face and very firm dark mottled ash.

Secondly, from a flavor perspective I would have guessed this cigars had 5-10 years more age on them. The lose fitting band, the very firm feel and the hint of attic in the nose all remined me of cigars that are far older that the 2000 box date on this cigar. It was at the stage where the very forward tobacco flavors begin to recede and the cigar begins to develop a hint of mustiness and complexity as the lesser flavors emerge. I found this cigar very well balanced with a flavor profile more akin to the SDC #1 than the Corona with less spice and more floral, earthy and woody nuances. The flavor was concentrated on the palate and at times showed hints of sweetness and a moderate length of finish. This cigar did not exhibit the classic Partagas flavor profile but was a very pleasing smoke.

Another great review Reid. I noticed Ken is beginning to adopt your review style..... and not before time :lol2:

This is one cigar I have not seen in this part of the world. It is one I will try to track down.

Very nice review. :ok:

I find your first comment about the dowels interesting. I have a box of HU Coronas from DIC00...seem hard as well. Both that I have sampled have smoked wonderfully. The draw has been perfect.

Sounds like a very interesting flavor profile. I have not sampled nor seen this cigar, so no experience. I have had a couple of lonsdales, however, that were not very "Partagas-like"...though very good.

Thanks again for the review.