H Upmann Corona (CLO DIC00)

Sat on the screened porch this evening after dinner, listened to my wife read the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, and lit up this corona. Great evening...here are my thoughts:

H Upmann Corona (CLO DIC00)

This slightly box-pressed cigar had a light to medium brown wrapper. The seams were very tight, though there was a slight wrapper flaw near the head. The triple-cap was sharp and neat...very nicely done. The cigar had a slight barn-yard nose, with a tad of sweetness and wood on the bouquet. I clipped and tested the draw...just right (I had the de-plugging tool out just in case...there was a slight hard spot just below the band).

I applied fire and the cigar leapt to life. The draw stayed just perfect and the smoke production was outstanding. Each easy draw coaxed mouthfuls of rich smoke from the cigar. The burn was straight as a razor, requiring absolutely no attention whatsoever. The ash was firm, medium gray and beautifully striated. The smoke was cool down the nub. An excellently constructed cigar.

On to the taste. Now, I have to be honest. The H Upmann flavor profile is the hardest for me to put into words. I like it very much, it is very distinctive, but I have a hard time describing it. That said, the cigar started out with some earth and toasted-tobacco flavors. The tobacco taste was very clean. As the cigar developed, it picked up in strength, body, and richness. The earth developed a slightly sweet characteristic that inter-mingled with the toasted flavors very well. Past the half-way mark, I noted some pretty apparent tannins still holding on in this cigar. As it ended up, the slightly sweet-earth increased, while the toasted-tobacco flavors just added accent. Outstanding.

Like I said, I have a tough time describing the H Upmann flavor profile. This cigar was excellent and very indicative of what I have come to experience in Upmanns. This was also a pretty full-bodied cigar (surprisingly so). All in all, very enjoyable. I give this cigar an A- (90-91). I think it will do nothing but improve over the next 3-5 years.

Excellent review, Dawg! You sure know how to set off the cravings. Like you, I find the Upmann profile to be elusive, but distinctive. And age does something wonderful to many Upmanns. IME, they often get stronger and spicier with age. If anyone doubts that, try an aged No. 2.

» Love your reviews Dawg. I agree that the Upmann profile is the most elisive

» to describe.

Yes, I agree with that, very hard to describe (although I like it). I have this book, I'll check what it says in there...

Ok, the book says this:

H. Upmann Coronas Major

132 x 16,67 mm - Corona (eminentes)

Price 5 EUR

Easy to light, this cigar plays a classic game: harbaceous aroma, sometimes slightly wet, mix together with earthy, slightly peppery notes which seem to cook on the palate. Insufficient strength does not allow the cigar to fully express itself in the last third. Rating 2/5.

» Ok, the book says this:

»

» H. Upmann Coronas Major

» 132 x 16,67 mm - Corona (eminentes)

» Price 5 EUR

»

» Easy to light, this cigar plays a classic game: harbaceous aroma,

» sometimes slightly wet, mix together with earthy, slightly peppery notes

» which seem to cook on the palate. Insufficient strength does not allow

» the cigar to fully express itself in the last third. Rating 2/5.

Wrong cigar. This was an Upmann Corona, not Coronas Major. The Coronas Major is more of a petite corona size. Some of the flavors are right...herbaceous aroma, earthy...might even agree with some peppery notes. However, it definitely had sufficient strength...to spare.