Cohiba Siglo III (XLB JUL05)

My first cigar on vacation. Arrived in Hilton Head this afternoon, got checked in, and headed down to the pool bar. Lit up this cigar and thought I would share my experience.

Cohiba Siglo III (XLB JUL05)

First of all, this was a beautiful cigar. It had a silky, oily medium-brown wrapper with just a slight colorado hue. It had only minor veins. The seams were practically invisible and the triple-flagged cap was impeccable. There was one small soft spot at the mid-point. The cigar had a sweet nose of earth, vanilla coffee, and grassy notes. I clipped it using some Xikar scissors...tested the draw. A little tight, but smokable.

I applied the torch and it lit right up. The draw stayed a little tight, but it was not plugged. I think that perhaps it was just a little over-humidified. It might not have rested long enough from its journey. Smoke production was not huge, but was ample enough to convey the flavors. The cigar burned even to the mid-point, but needed some help after that. Some touch ups were required, as the wrapper did not want to burn well. The ash was a medium to dark gray and very firm. The cigar burned cool down to the last inch or so.

Now, the flavors. Wow. It started out with what I am familiar with in a Cohiba. Good herbal/grassy/toasted nut flavors. As the cigar continued to develop, it gained some great vanilla bean coffee flavors. This mixed with the herbal/grassy/toasted nut flavors to form a fantastic balance. There were also some great cinnamon bursts and some even more intense molassas flavors. This was a fantastic tasting cigar!

OK, there are my thoughts. I know, I know...I broke so many rules. I smoked it too young, I did not let it rest long enough, blah, blah, blah. It was great. I give it an A- (90-91). If it burns better and ages well...it could well be a an A+.

» Nice review.

Agreed. Now you all say you love the Sig. III and Lanceros but tell me what is wrong with the I,II, IV.V,VI, Esplendidos and Corona Especiales? For me the Cohiba is high$ but very cosistant. What about those wrappers they use? Perfect eh?

»

» Agreed. Now you all say you love the Sig. III and Lanceros but tell me

» what is wrong with the I,II, IV.V,VI, Esplendidos and Corona Especiales?

» For me the Cohiba is high$ but very cosistant. What about those wrappers

» they use? Perfect eh?

IMO the Sig III's, Sig VI's, and Lancero's is where the Cohiba line really shines. IMO, these are the best that the line has to offer in regular production stock.

While the Sig I, II, IV, and V are good I don't think they can really match up with the III and the VI. They are good but me myself I would rather stock up on the ones that consistenly perform.

The Esplendido's are good and they get a lot of attention but they are not as consistent as the Lancero's and are not as pleasing to me personally.

Just my 2 cents but hope that helps

»»

»

» IMO the Sig III's, Sig VI's, and Lancero's is where the Cohiba line really

» shines. IMO, these are the best that the line has to offer in regular

» production stock.

»

» While the Sig I, II, IV, and V are good I don't think they can really

» match up with the III and the VI. They are good but me myself I would

» rather stock up on the ones that consistenly perform.

»

» The Esplendido's are good and they get a lot of attention but they are not

» as consistent as the Lancero's and are not as pleasing to me personally.

»

» Just my 2 cents but hope that helps

Ok No arguments here. If I had to pick the best three I could choose these but I hate to leave the Robusto out. The other Siglo series could slip down to the next level. The Esplendido is not the best churchill in the world.

» »»

» »

» »»

» Ok No arguments here. If I had to pick the best three I could choose these

» but I hate to leave the Robusto out. The other Siglo series could slip

» down to the next level. The Esplendido is not the best churchill in the

» world.

I agree that the Cohiba Robo's are very good but I guess if I had to rate them side by side against the other 3 I listed, the Robusto's would come in 4th.

I think the deciding factor with me was that there was about 3 years where the Robusto's IMO were not as consistent as they should be. Those years fell out of favor with me but the recent production stock shows a lot of promise and I very much enjoy smoking them.

• 4 weeks later...