H. Upmann Sir Winston - SUA NOV00

H. Upmann sir Winston - SUA NOV00

This magnificent cigar was bestowed upon me by Cigar Zen aka Mike during a visit to Virginia earlier this year. It is without a doubt the prettiest Winnie I have seen in a long time. It was a beautiful dark Colorado that had a silky sheen with virtually no detectable veins. It was perfectly rolled, hard to the touch but drew well…. yet a bit tight early on.

This was a cigar that clearly established that the Winnie and Monarch while born to the same family are clearly of a different breeding and class. The vitola burned perfectly from beginning to end sporting a tight dark ash that revealed a flat face burn when tapped off. Concentrated flavors of earth and hints of damp underbrush were contained in a creamy blue smoke that lingered on. This cigar was big, rich, complex and well bred….. a cigar that defines what one seeks out in the king of the Upmann marca. The cigar lasted close to two hours and every puff left a long, saturated finish that almost seemed to carry to the next puff.

The Zen Winnie was a special treat that I enjoyed this past week, my last cigar for a few weeks. If I could find this cigar I would buy numerous boxes to put away. Truly a memorable cigar!!

(edited for addition of box code)

Nice review Reid :ok:

I am enjoying more and more Upmanns. What I would give for an unlimmited supply of Upmann Super Corona.

I have always thought that an Upmann Lancero would be a sensational cigar :love:

Guest cohiba

I have not smoked one of these yet. I do have 4 or 5 waiting in their bed. I have noticed from MRN book, and from oredering from Rob that they have 2 different wrappers. Can anyone comment on this? Why 2 ? Looking forward to trying mine in a couple more weeks.

Cohiba

Great review! And very glad you enjoyed it. Those SWs are one of my recent favorites

»[it was] "a bit tight early on," but they do loosen up as you keep workin on them.

I always find that enjoyable ... um... in cigars ... THAT is what we're talkin about ...cigars. :-D

» Nice review Reid :ok:

»

» I am enjoying more and more Upmanns. What I would give for an unlimmited

» supply of Upmann Super Corona.

»

» I have always thought that an Upmann Lancero would be a sensational cigar

» :love:

I couldn't agree more with the Lancero idea, my favorite brand combined with my favorite size.

I have a few Sir Winstons left from a JUN00 box I will have to revisit. Last time I tried one a few years ago it was rather flat.

IMO, these are the real stars of the Upmann line. Smooth classy sophisticated cigar that has great elegant flavors. I'd have to agree that when comparing it to the Monarch its really not fair as these 2 are in 2 completely different leagues.

For the $$$, I'd go with the Sir Winnie's anytime.

XXX

Guest boss hogg

I've been thinking about what I should torch to celebrate the recent birth of my second child, and based on Reid's review the Winnie might fit the bill (thanks again, Bruce!)

Guest boss hogg

I took time to enjoy this one last night.

it was a very nice way to spend nearly 2 hrs. A smooth, elegant smoke with just the right amount of spice and loads of flavor. Superb construction and a good draw.

You inspired me Reid to enjoy an 01 after cooking the Saturday night BBQ for the family. On the Verandah, feet up and watching the big green tree frogs coming out of the house downpipes and jumping the 15 feet down on to the grass with a "boof" before hopping away into the acreage.

I love this cigar and it was everything your review portrayed. Tough day today as the family is hugely upset at the death of one of our sheep....Mr Perkins (old age). I really needed a bottle of Pinot Noir and a great cigar so I opened a bottle of Mt Difficulty ( it hurt's me to buy New Zealand product...but when it is this good...) and thought about Reids review before selecting the Winston.

It was one of those cigars that I was dreading to finish. I tried to smoke it as slow as possible but eventually I had to face up to the fact that I had to go back into the house and front the family.

Facing the family today was not as easy as usual as I made the mistake of cooking Lamb chops on the BBQ for dinner :confused: